1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WLAN, security?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hi_itsme, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hi_itsme

hi_itsme Thread Starter

We have 3 machines - XP Pro , XP Home, 2K. 1 machine runs an apache server (for web development). ANother (unfortunately) is often downloading large (questionable??) files much of the time.
    I understand we have some protection from the firewall in our router. We have been running McAffee AV/FW(but are don't intend to renew - would like to go Open source); also run Adaware and SpywareBlaster regularly.
    Shared internet connection. File and Print sharing is necessary sometimes. (so far, we enable it as necessary, and then turn it off again)
    No major problems yet, but our attention to security has been lacking, and my knowledge in the network admin area is weak, to say the least.
    It seems we've got things set up a little backwards, and I was hoping you folks could help me get this thing set up properly.
    Particularly, I'd like to protect my XP Pro development box, (which is running an apache server, but is not a file server on the network). Also I would like to ensure that ohter machines on the network are not compromised by the 2000 machine which is downloading "stuff".
    Please help me get started!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Stop downloading "stuff" that's questionable. As long as all the machines are connected and sharing files, there's nothing you can do to prevent problems.

3. hi_itsme

hi_itsme Thread Starter

I would love to stop downloading stuff that is questionable. Unfortunately, that is outside of my control. Not my machine, not my choice.
    I'm not thrilled with the volume and level of stuff that's being downloaded. I can't say that it's definitely nasty stuff being downloaded, but I woldn't be downloading this stuff myself - I can't be sure I can trust the source.
    I'm aware that it's a big fat security hole... but I'd like to minimize the risk.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    define 'stuff'...

adult material?
    copyrighted material such as music, movies, games?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to run a background anti-virus application and a background anti-spyware application. Even then, you run the risk of losing your data. To reduce the risk even further, don't share any files, folders, or drives with this other computer.

6. hi_itsme

hi_itsme Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure he's downloading movies and music. From newsgoups.
    He's not a total idiot, just downloading anything from anywhere... but we still can't trust this stuff.
    We are running AV and anti-spywyare.
    We can do without file and print sharing...
    Other than that, are you suggesting that if it works, it works?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    perhaps a proxy server or a dedicated firewall machine could slow down this PC from downloading from newsgroups etc.

8. hi_itsme

hi_itsme Thread Starter

Update:
    Well, it's taken a while, but I've convinced Mr. W2K-mega-downloads that he doesn't need to be on the network. He's planning to make the move to XP as well...
    Anyways, we still need to share an internet connection. It would be nice to share the printer (if possible, and reasonable safe) We will need file sharing between the other 2 XP systems. I I guess I could set one up as a live server machine (Apache) . (might not be a bad idea anyways, for web development projects) ...not sure if/when/how I'll do that...
    Anyways, we're ready to rework our setup. Would someone be able to help us work through the details, options, and configuration?

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd daisy chain two routers so you have a NAT layer between you and him.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice