Wlansta.exe eating up CPU.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Nocontact

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop set up to a wireless router (it's generic) through a netgear card in the laptop. It's running XP home and up until this afternoon it was working fine.
For some reason now I can't get it to connect and the main thing I'm looking at is a program called WLANSTA.exe in the task manager. I know it has something to do with wireless but for some reason it says it's eating up 25% of the cpu and I can't figure out why.
I tried removing the card and when I did the CPU usage went to 0% for Wlansta.exe and then after re-installing it it shot right back up to 25-26%.
If anyone has an idea how to fix this I'd appreciate it.

It is the wireless LAN system tray applet. It checks for wireless LAN connectivity and can be stopped or taken out of your startup group.

Nocontact

Yeah I figured what it was, I just don't know why it's going crazy on the cpu and also preventing me from connecting, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

It won't keep you from connecting, there is probably a configuration problem between your wireless adapter and the wireless device you are trying to connect to. What type of router are you trying to connect to and do you have access to it's configuration?

Nocontact

Why would wlansta.exe be using 25% of the CPU (according to the task manager?)
The router is a DOXport com 21 and the wireless card is a Netgear MA401.
I don't know the network password if that's what you mean by access to the configuration.

I doubt it is really using 25% of the CPU time all of the time. It is generally a percentage of the entire usage that is shown on the performace tab. Take a screenshot of both and post them here. THe only reason it would be that high is if it is constantly looking for a wireless connection or some process is accessing your computer over that connection.

Nocontact

It is using 25%, I noticed it because the cursor was stuttering when I tried to move it around and the overall performance was way slow. Like I said, when I take out the card, it goes to 0% like it should be but as soon as I insert it it shoots up again.
Unfortunatlely I can't post a screen shot because I can't connect. I'm typing this on another computer.

OK, what OS are you running? Did you install any software when you installed the wireless card? If you are running XP you do not need the additional software as XP directly supports wireless networks and will find your access point. If you cannot connect from the laptop it sounds like your wireless adapter has lost it's configuration or it is malfunctioning.

Nocontact

It's WinXP SP2. There was no additional software installed at the time.

Nocontact

It's alright, I just changed the channel on the router. That fixed it. Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online