1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMA licensing.. Unable to play on portable

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by coktoastin, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coktoastin

coktoastin Thread Starter

It appears that I had the "copy protect music" box checked on my Windows Media Player when I ripped my cd's to my computer. I recently purchased a MP3 player, (Nike Phillips psaplay), and it will not play my ripped tunes. I noticed when I right click on a song in my media library, click on properties, then license, it shows "protected content, copy to an SMDI player not allowed". Is there any way to change that licensing and/or copy protect, or am I going to have to rerip all my cd's? Thanks.

2. Jennymac

Jennymac

I kind of had the same problem, but with a different application. I download music from Napster, and their files are saved in a Secured WMA format. I wanted to save the songs to a cd as .wma files, that my portable cd/mp3/wma player can read. The problem is, Napster doesn't consider wma cd players, a portable device.

So what I did was burn the songs to a CD as CD audio files, and then upload them back into Windows Media Player as wma files. They were no longer Secured WMA files, and then my wma/cd player could read them. I didn't really notice a change in the fidelity, either.

Hope this helps. I don't know anything about cracking something to override that security issue. Sorry

PS. I like WMA format over mp3 because the fidelity is better. Also, with the upgraded version of Windows Media Player, you can choose the bitrate you want to save your wma files in. (anywhere from 64 bit up past 128 bit).

3. coktoastin

coktoastin Thread Starter

Thanks alot for the reply and info. I'll give that a shot. I guess I was hoping there would be a way to avoid re-ripping all my cd's... Oh well. thanks again!

4. Jennymac

Jennymac

I wish there was a way. I bet there is, I just don't know it. try going to techtv.com and posting on their message board. They are really good about responding, and I am sure someone has an answer that would better help you. Some people love to crack and hack Windows Media Player, and I bet someone will be able to help you there.

Good luck and if you find an answer that helps you, will you let me know?
    Thanks!
    jen

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice