1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved .wma. wav files won't convert to mp3

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by accordman1, Feb 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. accordman1

accordman1 Thread Starter

I am having trouble converting a .wma file that's in my windows media player to an mp3 file. I downloaded the VLC conversion software, but every time I try it and save it, it still is a wma file, when I open it up and look at Properties. I know I'm doing the right steps, per the VLC instructions, I click on Convert/Save and then I save it either to my desktop or the music file in WMP and it's still a wma file. I should add that I do a lot of songs on my mixer, transfer them to computer via audacity, then to WMP and have no problem with them automatically turning into mp3 files (from wav) BUT, this particular file (on a CD)is from a another studio years ago.
    Actually I just tried loading the song onto my computer it again and it shows up as a wav file, but even that won't still won't work. I am using Windows 10 on my laptop

2. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I am using Realplayer to convert WAV to MP3 without any problems at all.

3. accordman1

Interesting, I have RP too, but the real problem has been finding the file in WindowsMP when I look there and getting it directlty to the conversion software. I've had to save it from the C drive
    to the desktop=shortcut= and tried to use that version.
    Anyway, I used RP just now, and by having the CD physically in the computer, it does show up inRP, music, but there's not any place I can see to convert anything to anything. I have used RP before but it doesn't look the same. Do I have to upgrade to get it to work?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. accordman1

I tried downloading pazera twice and it didn't take for some reason.
    I have seen the VLC instructions and them exactly and when I open the file it still says wma

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    What do you mean "it didn't take"?
    I NEVER download from C-net. So I tried the link in the middle - Windows 32 bit portable. A zip downloaded. 13.8MB in size. Right click to unzip. You get this
    paz_audio.jpg
    Click the last item (red icon) that says application.

7. accordman1

ok I got Pazera downloaded, and as I said, had to put the file I had made a shortcut on the desktop in the list, in this case now a wav file, but when I pressed convert, I got an Error #1 message.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Screenshot of what you see.

I'll have to search through to find some wav files. Not sure I have any.
    I used Agent Ransack. As you see, I have no wav files. I'll have to try an older computer. But it won't be today.

no_wav.jpg

9. accordman1

Attached is a screenshot of what I'm trying to convert.

Attached Files:

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't see this
    I can't guess what you see.

wav files are old. You might have better luck using the 32 bit version of Pazera instead of the 64 bit one.

I'm still trying to see if I have any wav files that are more than old Windows greetings of a few kb in size.

11. accordman1

I tried the 32 bit version and had the same result.

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I discovered last night that my oldest computer, which might have larger wav files won't power up.
    <sigh> I guess I'll be trying a spare power supply the next few days.

So don't count on me for further help, sorry.

13. drfootware

drfootware

Personally, like using "xmedia recode", to convert audio files. Xmedia recode seems to accept all the formats out there.

14. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I use Audacity with the LAME Plug-In ( MP3 ).
    As an audio editor one can do a lot more that just convert a WAV to MP3 or WMA to MP3.

15. accordman1

I'm sorry I thought I marked this as solved. I had the file, mp3, on a flash drive and was able to get to do what I wanted. I don't know if I'll run into this again, but for now I'm not worried about it. Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice