1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMF exploit and Win98?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Networknewb, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Networknewb

Networknewb Thread Starter

Soon after the WinXP updates for the .wmf exploit were released, there was an critical update for Win98 released. It did mention *security hole* I believe, but did not specifically mention .wmf.

I still have .wmf handling turned off on my WinXP machine via the workaround pre windows update. But nothing like that on my Win98. I use mozilla, Spybot - Search and Destroy, and Spyware Blaster on a routine basis. Since the windows updates I have run across the .wmf exploit trying to access both my WinXP and Win98 machines. I was using Norton Anitvirus at the time, and the active script blocking popped up and quarantined the file, also the mozilla does not know how to handle this file popup window came up. I of course canceled any actions. I scanned my WinXP machine the 2x I got this exploit trying to download and it came up clean with no problems since.

I have since ditched Norton Antivirus in favor of AVG free version. AVG however does not have active script blocking. Since I am using Mozilla, that shouldnt be an issue. Ok to wrap this up, on my Win98 machine I just got the Mozilla does not know how to handle this file popup regarding a .wmf file. I of course cancelled it. But AVG doesnt have active script blocking, so unlike Norton, it did not attempt to qurantine the .wmf file like Norton did.

So is the security hole plugged for Win98? And what about AVG not attempting to quarantine this file? Lastly I am using Zone Alarm on my Win98 machine for added protection since I am no longer sure of Win98 saftey on the internet. Also all of my WinXP/Win98 updates are current.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice