WMF Hotfix

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

VICSULL

I have been trying to install the unauthorized WMF hotfix patch but keep getting that my system is not compatible with it. Once it said there was a problem with the windows installer package.

I have Windows XP home. I used to have Service Pack 2 but removed it because of errors I was getting. Since removing it back in November, I have had no more errors.
I now only have Service Pack 1. I do, however, still have some Service Pack 2 updates installed. I don't know why it says my system is not compatible with the patch. Can anyone help me? I did unregister the picture & fax viewer as suggested by Microsoft.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
DON'T install the pre-release WMF patch. Microsoft has already issued a notice that the correct patch will be released next Tuesday, January 10th, and for users NOT to install the pre-release version. It was accidentally released by an employee.

Here is the article:

An early version of a security fix for a Windows flaw that is being used as a conduit for cyberattacks was prematurely posted online by a Microsoft employee.

"It really was an inadvertent thing that happened," Fry Wilson said. "We have the security update on a fast track...(and) somebody accidentally posted a prerelease version on a community site. It has been taken down, and we don't recommend customers use it--it is not the version that we will be releasing on Tuesday."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VICSULL

Thanks! I guess it really doesn't matter that I can't get it installed. I'll just have to take my chances. This unauthorized patch is available on several different sites and I have gotten information from several different newsletters. I hope my antivirus (Norten Internet Security) and my spyware (Spyware Doctor) will be able to protect me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You REALLY need to install the SP2 upgrade because you're denying your computer a lot of enhancements and security-related fixes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online