1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMI is high

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by falsepretences, Jan 15, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. falsepretences

falsepretences Thread Starter

I'm running W10 on my laptop and for a few days now it has been very 'jerky'. I first noticed it when watching videos on youtube. The video would play then seem to buffer for a second when it resumed playing it started about a second before it had started buffering. Also, I was playing a game with my grandson and any moves we made stopped in mid-move for a second and then carried on.
    I have just opened Task Manager and have found WMI Provider Host's power usage is high and the power usage trend is very high. Watching the % just now it is showing as anything between 25 and 38%.
    So, do you think the WMI is the cause of the jerky movement and if so is there anything I can do to fix it or are they not related?
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20190917013255.000000+000
    Processor: AMD A4-4355M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 2
    Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7400G, 512 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 906 GB (838 GB Free); D: 22 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 193B, ver 87.0C, s/n PDJFB028J4E7W0
    System: Insyde, ver HPQOEM - 1, s/n 5CD3113KXR
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to your log, you have this HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15-b130sa Sleekbook which originally came with Windows 8 64-bit.

It also came with this processor and graphics device:

cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

Both are weak performers for playing games and viewing videos, so I'm not surprised at all that you're having quality issues.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. falsepretences

Fair enough flavallee, but as I say, this started a few days ago and I've had this laptop for about two and a half years with no problems at all!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your laptop may have too many running processes because of the number of apps you installed in it.
    Look in the "Startup" list and see how many of them are enabled.
    Look in the "Services" list and see how many of them are running.

Your laptop is using a third-party antivirus app instead of Windows 10's built-in antivirus app(Windows Security aka Windows Defender).
    Windows 10 can have various issues when using a third-party antivirus app.

Is your laptop using a wired ethernet connection or a wireless connection?
    A wired ethernet connection for on-line videos and on-line gaming tends to be more stable and faster.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. falsepretences

Thanks for that,
    I've looked in startup and there were only four enabled. Even so, I've cut that down to two.

In services there are quite a few on automatic, too many to check right now. The first one I did look up though was
    AMD External Events Utility. I've disabled it for now and I'll see how things go.

My antivirus is one I've always liked but I think I'll get rid and see if Windows Defender does as good a job.

I'm using a wireless connection. If there is no improvement I'll use the ethernet when my grandson forces me to play games.

Thanks for your time.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Reducing the number of running processes in the "Startup" and "Services" lists should improve speed and performance and should shorten startup and shutdown time.

To be safe, change the startup type in "Services" entries to Manual instead of to Disabled.

The Windows Security(aka Windows Defender) antivirus app that's built into Windows 10 is much improved from its earlier days.
    And using it instead of using a third-party antivirus app can reduce or prevent various issues from occurring.

Since you have a laptop, I guessed you're using a wireless connection.
    I know it can be a hassle or inconvenience to have it tethered to an ethernet cable, but having more stable and faster speeds when needed may out-weigh that.

You're welcome. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1238742

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice