1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMM, Ethernet, VoIP, router settings

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dniccjay, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dniccjay

dniccjay Thread Starter

I use VoIP to work from home.
    Our internet package is more than enough to support VoIP... our router is another story. My call quality is terrible. I have done everything (that I'm capable of doing without messing up the router or computer) I can find for troubleshooting. Nothing helps. The only time it is decent is when I'm the only one using the internet. The router has 15 devices connected. 3 Ethernet connections and the others are WiFi.
    There are three people here who work from home so being the only one online is not an option.
    we have an Arris panoramic tg1682 router, iv logged onto the router settings, from what i see there are no QOS options. Our internet provider says that since I use Ethernet that priority comes to me and the two other connections. On my router settings WMM is enabled. Keep in mind that two others use Ethernet. One streams video games for job, the other does file sharing all day long for a company in a diff state. The other devices are all iphones ipads and kindles connected by WiFi.

My question is this: How do I optimize my router settings for my VoIP. All the options online state QOS or this WMM. I don't see a Qos option. I do see a WMM but isn't that just for WiFi connections? again I use the Ethernet to connect to internet. The WMM is enabled. My next question is will that confuse the router if its set to give priority to the devices connected through WiFi?

Please. I'm computer illiterate. help.

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 6/26/2018, 10:01:21

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.180528-1700)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    System Model: HP Compaq dx7300 Microtower
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4032MB RAM
    Page File: 3953MB used, 4107MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

SPEED TEST PLUS
    Internet Quality Test

DOWNLOAD

Mbps

UPLOAD

Mbps

LATENCY

ms

JITTER

ms

[​IMG]
    Your broadband connection and line quality is

Excellent

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    "The only time it is decent is when I'm the only one using the internet. The router has 15 devices connected. 3 Ethernet connections and the others are WiFi. "

This is most likely the problem. Is the VoIP service through your internet company, or separate like Vonage?

EDIT: I just realised that the router you mention is the modem that Cox sends out so I assume you have phone service with your ISP. Who is your ISP?

The settings you are looking for is something you cannot change if it was provided by the ISP.

What causes call quality issues are 2 things; bad signal and utilization issue (download or upload is being maxed out).

So if you are having call issues and you are using the phone service from your ISP, then they need to troubleshoot it.

If you are using a 3rd party VoIP service, then you are at the mercy of the other users on your connection. When I worked for an ISP, the utilization issue stemmed from people streaming or using file sharing programs that used up a lot of the bandwidth.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice