1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP 11 issues (in Vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by HectorAP, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

So I've had my new HP laptop, with Vista installed, for about a week now.

Two nights ago I got around to cleaning out all the preinstalled crap software HP has on here, when all of a sudden, my WMP 11 stopped properly working.

Basically, anytime I tried to play a file that wasnt a .WMV file, it wouldn't even load the video, and an error message would pop up saying "file unable to play" and something about an incorrect format, I believe. I attempted to play the files in Winamp, to no avail. Only the WMV files would play. So apparently, one of the things I had uninstalled, seemed to have deleted some important video related files. So, I started reinstalling the programs from the recovery utility.

I did it one by one, and restarted after each, to find the culprit. It seems that "Roxio Creator Basic" was the issue.

After restoring the Roxio program, WMV seemed to work fine, so I decided to ignore it for the time being.

Last night, however, I found that my WMP11 just totally stopped working. I click on a video file (ANY type), and WMP11 will not start up. I try manually starting the program, no luck. I restarted various times, no luck.

At this point, I've uninstalled and installed a few programs, so it's a lot harder to find out if any of those affected WMP11.

(btw the files do work in winamp, the issue now is that WMP11 will not open)

Now, normally I'd just try to uninstall the program, and reinstall it, but there's a problem. WMP11 is not listed in the "add/remove" programs dialog. I downloaded WMP11 from microsoft, but since it is a slightly older version than the one already installed in my system, the install stops itself with a error message saying what I just said, and does not continue.

I suppose i could just find the actual file and delete it, but seeing how temperamental it has been so far, I'm afraid to.

Now...do you guys have any suggestions? Have you heard of any such issues? I searched google and on here, to no avail. Help! Thanks!

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Run the WMP11 installer again.

Doesn't WMP11 come with vista? why did you download it?

3. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

it DOES come with vista. I downloaded it, because since it's not appearing in the "add/remove" dialog, i wanted to see if i could uninstall or repair the installing, with the new install file. but it wouldnt let me progress.

4. diablo75

diablo75

I have a WMP11v4, and when I installed Vista, I went into the Hardware manager, and simply used Windows XP drivers from the orignal install CD to make it work...and it did work. I was surprised.

5. Siciliano29

Siciliano29

What drivers are you talking about??? I'm actually starting to get pissed off here - why can't we have the damn freedom to uninstall WMP11 and just install the version that is used for XP, or better yet, any version we want?!? :mad: we paid for the damn OS, we should have the freedom to do whatever we want with it!!!

EVERYTHING in WMP11 works fine in XP SP2, and almost nothing works for WMP11 in Vista... you think they'd have a damn update for it, but no, of course they don't. (n)

6. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

That doesn't seem to make sense...hah.

But, for what you are suggesting, as I have said, there is no option to remove/fix WMP11. It does not show up on the remove list, nor does it show up on the systems "restore" utility.

7. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Did you try windowsupdate.com?

How about system restore?

8. diablo75

diablo75

I'll repeat myself:

Open up your control panel (CLASSIC VIEW) and go to SYSTEM.

Then, open up Device Manager.

Find the Network Card (which probably has a yellow exclimation point next to it) and update the driver. Browse the CD that came with the card, open up the driver subdirector on the CD, and find the XP folder.

It will select the correct INF file automatically, and install the driver (although it will warn you that the driver you selected isn't correct).

9. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

Aside from the fact that what you are saying does not apply to my situation (i didnt upgrade to vista, it came preinstalled, and all the drivers are up to date), I don't see what help updating the network card driver would do, to make Windows Media Player 11 work. Is there some known conflict between WMP and certain network cards?

At this point, the bigger issue is why isnt it showing up in the "add/remove" dialog, making it impossible to remove/update/roll back to an older version. I would delete the actual file, but I don't know if that would help the situation.

I tried to install WMP9, and it gave me a "This program is blocked due to compatibility issues" error. Not the player, but the actual install file.

GRRR!

10. MMJ

MMJ Guest

It is not going to be in add/remove as it is not uninstallable. If you install a new version such as WMP12 than it will be in add/remove in case you want to go back to 11.

Can you take a look at post #7?

11. Siciliano29

Siciliano29

Diablo - no dude, I have NO exclamation points in my device manager... not only that, the network card doesn't really have much to do with WMP11, so I'm not sure where you're heading with that...

12. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

Anyone figure this out yet?

I finally reformatted my computer, reinstalled windows vista.

It's been a few weeks of slowly installing/uninstalling programs and monitoring what they do, and using system restore when I see anything weird happen.

The WMP-wont-start problem seemed to go away.

Until today. I even system restored it a few times, back to two weeks ago, to no avail...WMP WILL NOT start for anything. In the task manager, when the program is started, it shows up and then almost immediately dissapears.

What gives??!?#[email protected]#?$

The last major thing I did, softwarewise, was install Photoshop CS2. I know THAT problem is having a conflict with AIM 6.0, I think it corrupts one of the display fonts AIM uses because my IM windows go blank after I install CS2.

Maybe there's some connection with that and WMP?

I've installed CS2 a few times so far though, and system restored it back to before (in trying to figure out the aim issue), and WMP worked fine until right now.

13. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Did you check if there are any patches from ms?

14. HectorAP

HectorAP Thread Starter

No patches.

15. kokhaine

kokhaine

I bought my laptop with vista intalled and I have the same problem. this is F******* pissing me off since i couldn't find any solution anywhere... I can't uninstall WMP 11 and even restoring wista couple times didn't make any changes.... !!! damn can someone help us??? my wmp 11 can play mp3 files but can't play any video files, that's really weird

please need help

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541708

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice