1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP 11 Media Sharing Issues

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Illmatic94, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Illmatic94

Illmatic94 Thread Starter

Hi

I am on a home network (wireless), and would like to share my media with my XBox 360 and other laptops. When I go into WMP, and click Media Sharing, a window pops up with an unchecked box which says "Share my media". I check the box and click OK, but then WMP freezes for a while, then comes back but with nothing changed. The box remains checked but I cant actually say ok. The only way I can get the window to go away is by clicking Cancel or the X. also, the OK button works fine if the box isn't checked.

What could possibly be causing this? Other computers share media on the same network without any problems.

2. Illmatic94

anyone?

3. lidlsson

lidlsson

I have the exact same problem and I havn't been able to resolve it. When I check the "Share my media" box and click OK, WMP freezes up for a few secs and then comes back unchanged. The Xbox icon doesn't even show up in the Media Sharing window.

My media sharing with Xbox360 used to work fine, but I think I accidently deleted the wmpnetwk.exe file a while ago and after that I never got the media sharing to work again. I have tried downloading and re-installing WMP 11, but I still have the same problem.

Can anyone help?

(Windows XP SP2)

4. Illmatic94

im still looking for an answer too

5. Illmatic94

i found a solution.
    for anyone else with the same problem.

Start admin tools/services.

Open SSDP Discovery Service, set it to Manual, then click apply, then 'Start'.
    Do the exact same for the Universal Plug and Play Device Host Service.

and Bob's your uncle, you should now be able to share Media!

6. lidlsson

lidlsson

This solved my problem!

You are a genius! Thank you so much! I would never have been able to solve this problem myself.

Thanks alot mate! Hope you have a fantastic 2009 ;)

Cheers!

/A

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice