1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP 11 not playing streaming video

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Lionheart12, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lionheart12

Lionheart12 Thread Starter

There is this website I go to that has streaming video of certain video clips. Whenever I click the icon, internet explorer says that there is an internet connection problem. On my friends computer it works fine and WMP loads in the browser when he clicks on the video. When I say loads in the browser I mean windows player loads separately and then starts buffering the file.

What could be wrong?

I am using windows vista home. I know there is no way to uninstall WMP 11 since the program was integrated into the vista software. Using the system recovery option is not an option for me.

2. t bone

t bone

post a link to the site in question.

3. Lionheart12

4. t bone

t bone

do you have the ie pop up blocker turned on by any chance?

is this the only site you have a prob. with?

5. Lionheart12

no. other sites with the same streaming video type does not work. only embedded video files like youtube files or other sites of that nature work.

6. Lionheart12

the ie pop up blocker is not on.

7. t bone

t bone

try temporarily disabling your firewall and going to the site.
    don't forget to turn it back on after this test.

what version of ie are you using and are you up to date with "high priority" updates at windows update.

8. Lionheart12

disabling the firewall did not work as well. Also, I have updated windows with the latest updates.

I am using internet explorer 7.

9. t bone

t bone

hi
    go here...on the left under "tests and scans"
    do the active x check.

let me know if you pass, if not check some of the solutions they suggest.

things like this unfortunately are usually trial and error, i'm starting to run outta ideas.

10. Lionheart12

i guess there is no solution, unless I completely format my computer and reinstall everything. Of course that is not an option.

11. t bone

t bone

did you pass the active x test at pc pitstop?

another thing to check...
    in wmp "options"...security, under "content": make sure the middle 2 are checked.
    in network, under "multicast streams": make sure "allow player to receive...."
    is checked.
    if you had to check anything click... apply...ok

have you in the past used some registry cleaner that could have deleted something my mistake. alot of those cleaners claim their safe but in reality they are not.

12. Lionheart12

yeah. i passed the active x checkup. and the things you asked me to check are checked.

I'm not sure but I may have deleted something that could have affected wmp 11 although I have never used a registry cleaner, so that can not be my problem.

Is there anyway to uninstall wmp11 from vista without reformatting the computer?

13. t bone

t bone

i don't think you can uninstall it.
    you can't do a system restore to before the problem?

14. Lionheart12

the problem with that is I am not sure when this problem occurred. The issue has only come to light recently when I was trying to watch that video I posted up on this forum. I am not sure how far back this problem extends.

15. t bone

t bone

well you could go back say a week or day at a time, then try the link after each restoration, until it works. if you can get it working maybe from that you can figure out what caused it from the names of the different restore points.

anyway....you can always restore to present day.

before you do that.... try cleaning out your browser cache (temp. files, cookies etc.)
    i don't think that's the prob. but it's worth a shot

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice