WMP and File Explorer show mp3s as "unknown"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AntonyM64

Hopefully someone can help with this odd problem.
Everything was fine until the other day.

Then I noticed that a few songs in Windows Media Player were no longer showing Artist or Album info.
So I rebuilt the WMP library, and now NONE of my mp3s have ANY info. But m4a files do.
mp3s WMP.jpg

m4a file explorer.jpg
And this is also a problem in File Explorer.
mp3s file explorer.jpg

But when I look at the mp3s in Mp3tag all the info is there as ID3v2.3 tags.
mp3s Mp3Tag.jpg
Any ideas?

WMP: v12.0.7601.23930

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 45 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 12
RAM: 32718 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, 1280 Mb
Hard Drives: A: 0 GB (0 GB Free); C: 465 GB (63 GB Free); E: 1862 GB (692 GB Free); F: 3725 GB (246 GB Free); G: 3725 GB (2424 GB Free); H: 3725 GB (448 GB Free); I: 931 GB (375 GB Free); J: 0 GB (0 GB Free); L: 3725 GB (1244 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P9X79 PRO
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
Are you able to edit the information within File Explorer? Assuming not, from what I've found so far, it could be corrupt Windows files and simply running SFC /scannow could resolve the problem.

AntonyM64

Hi Oddba11,

No, I don't seem to be able to edit the fields in File Explorer.

And perhaps I should have put in my original post, that I have already run SFC /scannow and it didn't find any problems. And didn't fix it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online