1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP in Vista can't find my music

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dooburyfurkin, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dooburyfurkin

dooburyfurkin Thread Starter

I installed Vista Ultimate yesterday with a clean install. Installed some required programs (Mcafee Security Suite 2007, Windows Live Messenger Beta etc) and ran Windows Media Player.
    I have the following file structure:
    -C:
    -D:
    --Music
    ---artist1
    ----Album
    ---artist2
    ----Album
    etc.
    I have set media player to rip CD's to D:\Music and added other monitored folders for videos and pictures. When I click ok it does it's little scan but says it found nothing. I know for a fact I have over 20Gb of MP3 in D:\Music and 30Gb of video in D:\Video. I have searched all over the internet today and found absolutely nothing.
    Is it possible to delete the library database to start from scratch? It does add the files if I manually goto them in Windows Explorer and click play..., but that'll take ages.
    I did have to install another soundcard after the installation because my original one wasn't compatible but that shouldn't have done it, should it?

Any help please guys.

2. TechB

TechB

In WMP 11 - Click on Library - Add to Library - Advanced Options - Add - Browse to the top level folder with the music and add it. Leave WMP 11 open and wait. If you have a lot of files it can take several hours before they all show up. If this doesn't work then you may need to change the NTFS permissions of the folders and files.

3. dooburyfurkin

Ive tried all that, it says no files found. Checked all the security settings and there as they should be, even compared them with a Windows XP installation

4. Siciliano29

Siciliano29

This actually took me a while to figure out - it's a glitch in the new version of WMP11 that comes with Vista. Here's what I did...

1. Go to Advanced Options in the Library and *REMOVE ALL* of the folders it has listed there.

2. Uncheck all the boxes in the advanced view.

3. Add ONLY the top level folder containing your music files, and finally click OK.

*You might have to repeat this process for all your media folders, adding one at a time. I didn't have to because I only wished to add my music files, and they're all in one folder with many subfolders. Hope this helps..

5. jmwills

jmwills

Do you chnage the Properties of the Music Folder to point ot the new location?

6. Siciliano29

Siciliano29

I didn't change any properties of the actual music folder. I simply removed all the folders that WMP11 found by itself in the advanced view. Then I just went on from there as I listed..

7. dooburyfurkin

I have changed the properties of the music link/folder that is shown on the start menu. I'll change that back first then if that don't work I'll have a go at Siciliano's idea.
    thanks dude, changed the location back to default and it worked :cool:

8. Tha*Lunat!k

Tha*Lunat!k

I had this issue as well, though I hadn't tried the above suggestions as I hadn't read them a couple weeks ago. What I did to get around it was drag my music folder into WMP and it began scanning it and then added all the files it found. Adding that directory to be monitored didn't seem to do the trick ever.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice