1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP wont play MP3 file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Zammin, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zammin

Zammin Thread Starter

I am baffled. I recorded my voice using AUDACITY version 1.3 beta at home, and exported to an MP3 file using their LAME conversion plugin utility. I was able to play the MP3 file at home using the Windows Media Player (win7). However, the WMP at my office opened the file and played through it without complaints but produced only the "sounds of silence". I have windows XP at the office. Could it be that the Windows Media Player at my office needs to be updated to be able to play MP3 files? I thought it would have given me an error message if it was not capable of playing MP3.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I would suggest that you try playing a few other files. Simply demonstrating that a WMA file plays properly would rule out the vast majority of likely problems, such as the embarrassingly common forgetting to turn the sound and speakers on. If that works then playing another MP3 would tell you whether it is an issue with MP3 in general or simply your file.

Media Player ought be able to play MP3 without any updates.

3. Zammin

Zammin Thread Starter

I did rule out the trivial problems. Speaker was working and WMP was able to play other files. The file was identical -- I played it directly from the flash drive on both computers. Even worse, I also gave it to another person at the office, and his XP system would also play it soundlessly. YET the identical file plays perfectly well at home on my WIN 7 system.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It probably used a codec that XP doesn't have. You can download GSpot to see what codec is needed, and test if XP has any that will play it. Compare it to an MP3 that does play.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice