1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP won't recognize blank discs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by melawren, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melawren

melawren Thread Starter

version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4060 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 5 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 701301 MB, Free - 589709 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, ZX4800
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled

I have the latest version of WMP and it will no longer record CDs that have been ripped onto new blank CDs. I have tried different brands of CDs, used blank DVDs and different brands, installed and reinstalled WMP, used Microsoft's fix it guy thing and checked this site for answers.

When you put in a blanc disc, the computer says "please insert a blank disc into Drive D" This happens when you already have a blank one in there. WMP says that as soon as a blank CD is inserted then the burn will start. Well the burn NEVER starts and it used to work fine. Is it possible to get an older version of WMP?

I would really appreciate any and all answers...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Does the drive work properly for reading commercial or previously burned discs?

Assuming that it does, then there are two possible causes in my experience. 1) you are inserting the wrong media type (ie: you are copying a CD, thus Windows is expecting you to insert a blank CD, but you are actually inserting a DVD) or 2) the drive is faulty.

Test the drive (and media) using a different burning software.

3. melawren

melawren Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply but it does recognize other discs, for example, I put my new digital camera phone CD in at Christmas and it downloaded without any problems. I have also used it to burn videos from my camera. It will just not do music CD's and yes, I have tried different brands of both (6 kinds altogether) CD's and DVD's. It just will NOT recognize CD's when I put them in to burn music! For example, I can piut a music CD in there and rip it but when I go to burn it, forget it! This leads me to believe that it is NOT the drive!
    ;)
    Any other ideas out there?

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  5. melawren

melawren Thread Starter

Thank you for including the link although, I don't know what it means to "take ownership of" files. Can you tell me what that means? Also, does this mean that all my music will be erased if I install a different version?
    When I uninstalled and reinstalled WMP 12 on my computer, it saved the music and put it back on it. If I'm going to lose it, what is the easiest way to save it to put on new media player?

As always, thank you for your time!

6. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    How to take ownership of a file: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

You can install the same or a different version, your choice. Personally, I'd perform a fresh install of the OS. If there is a software/registry glitch with a Windows core service, there could be other issues as well.

As for your files, it will depend on the type of files. If they are simply mp3/wma files in a folder, you can simply save or move the folder (and you should have a backup copy of all the files anyway).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice