1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP11 - various problems in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Siciliano29, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Siciliano29

Siciliano29 Thread Starter

*Edited

I've read about a similar problem with WMP11 in Vista, and I've seen NO conclusive answers on how to fix it! I have to preface this question by saying that WMP11 works 100% FINE in XP (I have a dual-boot setup on my PC, and I can choose whether to boot into XP or Vista).

Ok, I've since figured out how to get around the "add media to library" glitch, where it doesn't add any files. I still haven't been able to figure out why WMP11 will not play ANY MP3 files. I don't get any error message(s), the files simply don't play... the seek bar at the bottom doesn't move at all, which is an indication it's not my audio hardware/software. I'm thinking maybe some sort of MP3 codec will fix the problem, but where can I find and download the MP3 codec that's used in the XP version of WMP11??? I think that might solve my problems!

2. Siciliano29

No one else has this prob??

I actually just found another very interesting twist to the problem - I was just messing around with Media Center, and my MP3 files play in there!!!! They still won't play in WMP11 though - now THAT is odd. I'm normally a PC guru, but I can't figure this one out..

3. dooburyfurkin

dooburyfurkin

I've not had that problem with Vista, I had it a couple of time in XP though. Do they play in XP? And have you tried playing them in a different program like VLC Player while in Vista? That would rule out any driver issues you might have.

*edit: You could ignor my post - I miss read your last post. No other ideas, sorry

4. Siciliano29

I guess I could simplify the whole process by asking: does anyone know where I could download a codec pack for playing audio files in Vista??? Video files, including HD, work just fine... and I just tried to play a wma file in WMP11, and that didn't work either, so apparently it's not just MP3's, it's ALL music files. :( ..narrowing down is good though... ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541815

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice