1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wmp12 to wmp11

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by indianacarnie, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. indianacarnie

indianacarnie Thread Starter

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Your link/URL is not working.

3. indianacarnie

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Did you delete the registry key "Installed Versions" ?

When you took ownership of the wmp files, you may also needed to change the "permissions" for that file, give it full control for your user account.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

There's a nice big notice at the bottom of the article absolving them of any responsibility for damage to a system. The date of the article puts it well before the release of the final version of Windows 7. There's no way I'd try something like that on my production system.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

7. indianacarnie

well i did it and screwed it up good. i'm back to vista as iwrite this but will be reinstalling 7 in the next day or so. so does anyone else have any pointers and or suggestions? mumdog....... what do you mean permissions?

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

My suggestion would be to not mess with system components. If you don't like Windows Media Player, look for alternatives, but don't use hacks to try to remove and alter system components.

9. indianacarnie

haha.....have 4 other media players, 5 if you count media center itself........ but ,call me stupid if you will haha, i like the library in wmp. its easy to see all you have, make changes, etc. well, except wmp12. anyone know of a media player with a library pretty much the same as wmp11's. guess i'm a glutten for punishment because when i get around to re-installing 7 i'm trying that hack again,if i cant find a media player with a similar library. heck.... maybe i'll get it right this time!:)

10. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Let us know if you learn any secrets to making WMP11 work on W7.

I respect a person that never gives up!

11. indianacarnie

:) will do! wish me luck everyone. will probably be my week-end project

12. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

luck and a bit of carma....

Good luck indianacarnie.

13. indianacarnie

well............ no luck yet. haha, have ended up re-installing 7 twice since i last posted. will be trying again this week-end.in the meantime have been using media monkey and really like it. will probably KEEP using it now......... but, i guess i'm just stubborn and i WILL get wmp11 installed :)

14. indianacarnie

not yet..... cant figure out what i'm doing wrong

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's not supported by the system. Anything you try will be a hack with unexpected results. It's probably easier to learn to work with the new version or buy a used computer and stick Windows XP on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/888700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice