1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMP54G... "connected to access point but internet cannot be found"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Braxxis, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braxxis

Braxxis Thread Starter

Hi. I'm new to the site and I don't know too much about networking and what not, but I have had this Adapter (WMP54G) and my WRT54G v6 working flawlessly for the past 2 months. Then all of a sudden today when I get on my computer... nothing.

Earlier I ran through all the technical support at LinkSys. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers. Half the time I get the "connected to access point but internet cannot be found" message with my connection, the other half it shows I am connected, but I can't connect to IE, Outlook, WoW, etc. And when it did connect it gave me about 20 seconds of internet time lol. Wasn't quite sure what to do and a little confused as to how it could just decide today not to work anymore.

NOW i seem to have gotten this working (in a way.)

I Uninstalled the drivers, Inserted the Install CD and rebooted the computer. When the default new hardware wizard popped up I selected not at this time for connecting to the net and did auto install. however I've noticed the reason why I was being disconnected in the first place.

I use Outlook express, I also use something called SysMetrix for my desktop which has a Email feature for it to check for new mail every 5 minutes. It seems that everytime it ran itself, or even when I run outlook on my own, it disconnects me from my connection requiring a restart to get it connected again.

What could be causing this? I've never had a problem with any of this until this morning. I am almost ready to just move everything important to another hard drive, reformat this one and start fresh to see what happens. It's very frustrating. lol. Any suggestions? Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535086

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice