1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wmplayer causing stack fault

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dplatt, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

downloaded wm player but program will not run shows error message wm player caused a stack fault in module kernel 32.dll at 0167: bff9f9Zd. Uninstalled it once and reinstalled it but get same message stack fault in 32.dll what's up?

2. brianF

brianF

3. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

Thanks brianF the symptom was the same one I recieved except for the last eight mine were bff9f9Zd they showed bff9f9f2d, is that why the cure they suggested would work but did not?. Is there another media player I can try? I really don't listen to CD's on my comp very often. I lost my audio when I had more megs of Dram installed and the plug for the audio could not be reinserted as the new dram modules are in the way? This comp was a made up one not a factory job.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is a little longer learning curve getting to know Winamp, but I've always been happy with it (never liked media player).

I'm using the current 2.78 "standard" version. And one thing I really love is the AVS (Audio Visualization) editor. Really fun to play with.

http://winamp.com/

By the way, that would have had to have been a '2' in your error address, since 'Z' is not a part of the hexidecimal number base (0-F)

5. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin'Rog followed your suggestion and downloaded winamp is there any way to bypass the old audio cable? I can not get any sound from the CD so I assume this is were the problem lies? Why would anyone make it a problem to return the cable to its original position by placing new dram modules in the way? The CD shows that it is playing and shows who and all that jazz.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well the audio cable from the CD-Rom has to be connected to the sound card for the sound card to do its thing. Some CD-Roms will have their own headphone jack and if yours does, you should try using headphones on both jacks to see if you get sound out of either.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/cdts1.html

But that may not be the issue. With Winamp I've seen some other causes where the CD audio file appears to play but no sound is produced.

In Winamp, open the Options>Preference>Plug-ins>Input page

Higlight Nullsoft cd/linein plug-in and click "configure". Try unchecking the box marked "sampling" and test.

Is it just audio cd's you are having a problem with, do mp3s and wav files play through Winamp?

By the way, the Windows Help Menu contains a detailed troubleshooter for Sound. Click the Help tab in start, then> Content>Troubleshooting>Troubleshooters>Sound

There are some steps to follow for the issue of "The sound appears to play, but I do not hear anything". Certain "media control" devices may need to be checked and reinstalled.

For example, one drill goes like this:

In Control Panel, double-click Multimedia.
    On the "Devices" tab, double-click Media Control Devices.
    Double-click CD Audio Device (Media Control).
    Verify that Use This Media Control Device is selected.
    If the driver is enabled but you still cannot hear CD Audio, remove and
    reinstall the device. To do so, click Remove on the General tab in CD Audio
    Device (Media Control) properties, and then follow these steps:
    In Control Panel, double-click Add New Hardware.
    Click Next, click No, and then click Next.
    In the Hardware Types box, click Sound, Video, And Game Controllers, and
    then click Next.In the Manufacturers box, click Microsoft MCI.
    In the Models box, click CD Audio Device (Media Control).
    Click Next, click Finish, and then restart your computer.

7. dplatt

dplatt Thread Starter

Yes I did get to hear the CD playing from the ear phone jack on the front of the CD and I can play wav sounds but dont know if they are going through winamp for sure but I do hear them coming through the speakers. I was told that I could bypass the the audio cable with wmplayer as it would use the ribbon cable if I selected analog instead of digital. I did not see anyplace in the install process that asked me that question. I don't have or use mp3s.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The audio cable from the CD-Rom should be connected to the sound card, if it is not, that is the problem you are experiencing. Wav files will be played through the player associated for that file type. If you check Winamp's options>preferences>file types, the types associated with Winamp will be in blue.

Did you reinstall the CD-Audio Device?

If you really want to tinker with wiring, here is a page that might help you sort out that kind of thing.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/cdrom_audio_wire.html

I haven't played with that sort of stuff on a pc, but If you really want to, you can. The easiest way to bypass the sound card would probably just be to use the output jack on the CD-Rom and feed it directly to a line in jack on an enternal amplifier.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice