WMV AVI MPEG MPG all grainy and discoloured.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tbmimagica

the other day i tried to open some videos on my computer all of those types of files would be opened and would have a grainy look to them, lower quality visual, same sound, and discolouration. the only video file i came acrossed that worked fine was quicktime videos. if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

Did they work before? Or is this the first time you have tried playing them?
It depends where you get the files from, they could be compressed and thus lower quality. It also could depend on the media player you are using. Lastly check you have the right CODEC's.

Late,

tbmimagica

AvvY said:
Did they work before? Or is this the first time you have tried playing them?
It depends where you get the files from, they could be compressed and thus lower quality. It also could depend on the media player you are using. Lastly check you have the right CODEC's.

Late,
no i've had these videos for a while so they've all worked. i don't think any of my codecs got deleted. uh i installed an update for my nividia videocard driver, but i don't know if that would have an effect on solely videos.

Double check your codecs are still installed.
What media player are you using - is it a different one from what you used in the past?
Are you able to test the files on another computer?

Late,

tbmimagica

well i reinstalled all codecs. still same results. i've been using windows media player and winamp3. always have so no difference there. any like troubleshooting video programs out there, or diagnostic programs?

Hmm... I'm really not sure. If you can test the videos on another PC to rule out the files themselves being the problem. Apart from when you play these videos, your graphics are all fine?

I'm a bit baffled by this one.

Late,

tbmimagica

everything else appears to be fine. i have noticed lately that some of my songs make weird noises when i play them. like uh certain guitar parts sound like kind of wobbly (which is not part of the song mind you).

Try reinstalling the video drivers you had before the update and see if the problem is persists. If so, it's likely the video drivers(although i'm pretty sure video drivers don't affect media video's)

tbmimagica

well just installed my previous video card driver. one that is 4 months old and outdated. now my videos are working again. nvidia must've really messed up. thank you guys for the support.

MysticEyes

Banned
tbmimagica said:
well just installed my previous video card driver. one that is 4 months old and outdated. now my videos are working again. nvidia must've really messed up. thank you guys for the support.
That's funny.... 4 months and outdated. Unless you have the very latest card, seldom will the latest drivers improve things. I use an NVIDIA driver that's well over a year old.

Yeah, I still use the ATI driver that came with my card when I bought it in 2003.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online