1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.wmv file's causing my PC to freeze

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mastermc0, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mastermc0

mastermc0 Thread Starter

Whenever I attempt to play a .wmv file my computers lock's up. It still run's but extremely slowly. It does not matter what media player I use as even when one loaded in a game the PC locked up. To get my PC back to normal I have to wait to get into Task Manager and stop the process.

Please help as this is frustrating especially when loading web pages and games containing these files.

2. bfp302q

bfp302q

I have been having the same problem whether I use Windows media player 9, 10, or 11, Nero or Creative players. Flash movies or Quick time AVI files work OK. It does not seem to mater which app is set as default to open the file type.

3. bfp302q

bfp302q

Well I have 1.25GB on MB and 128MB on video card. Surely that is enough to run WMV's!!! My only guess is that some apps can't coexist? Maybe that's not it since WMV files crash whether I use Media Player or Nero or whatever...?????

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Sorry, I was getting confused. Too many people posting problems in one thread.

Bfp302q and tigerbiter should each post your problems in separate threads.

5. bfp302q

bfp302q

So can some expert review this and post, if not a solution, at least a diagnostic procedure?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Click on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of the dialog box and ask a moderator to move your postings.

Although all 3 of you have similar problems the solutions may not be the same for each and it's confusing trying to address 3 different members in one thread.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!