1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WMV Files won't play

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Fraternal, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fraternal

Fraternal Thread Starter

I recently re-installed Windows XP Media Centre Edition after it became corrupted. The problem is, I can no longer play wmv files.

Whenever I open them it says the file is not supported.

Is there a dirver that I failed to re-install?

2. Fraternal

Fraternal Thread Starter

Can anyone help me with this, it's a really big problem.

Aling with what I initially said, Firefox also doesn't seem to recognise that I've got WMP installed and whever I open a video in it, it asks me to install it.

3. ebookmania

ebookmania Banned

Yes i think you need to re-install the driver.

4. ebookmania

ebookmania Banned

Either if possible you format the system and install a fresh win x p or else u download real player to play those files

5. new tech guy

new tech guy

It could be a missing codec, I may be able to help your firefox situation though. The reason firefox does not detect windows media is because it does not use activex however i plugin to it like ietab will definitely fix that problem. Can download it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
    And i know about a codec pack which i will look into to see if it has the wmv codec in it. I have seen it in another thread and kudos to the user who posted it. I will post it soon as i look it up.

6. new tech guy

new tech guy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice