1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wndows 98 not booting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SyBorg, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SyBorg

SyBorg Thread Starter

Microsoft registry checker says I have a good registry. However Windows says it found an error in the system files. It said that it restored a recent backup of the files to fix the problem. However, when I restart the computer it goes back to the same registry checker screen and repeats the same process. It still will not boot up into windows...Help:confused:

2. brianF

brianF

Boot into safe mode by tapping the F8 key just after the memory count and before the windows loading message. From the menu choose safe mode. Once in safe mode so to start/run/type sfc.

Run the system file checker and let it look for and replace corrupt or missing system files. Have the win98 disk in the drive

3. SyBorg

SyBorg Thread Starter

I do not have a windows 98 disk available...Any other suggestions?:confused:

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

What is the exact error message you are getting please? This may provide more of a clue.
    Many computers have the cabs on the hard drive. That is the same as putting the install cd in the drive. Even better, because unlelss you know a trick, you cannot access your CD drive from Safe Mode.

What make is your computer? If you can get into safe mode to go start>run and type this:
    C:\windows\options\cabs

If the folder opens, you have the ability to extract original Windows files.

Then you can use SFC. However, many of these files will have been upgraded and you won't want to replace them with files from the cabs. Be careful. SFC can be confusing. Get a list of the corrupt files and compare them with the list of files in C:\windows\Sysbckup. The files in sysbckup are those which are being replaced. Ignore anything else on the SFC list for now.
    Next, compare the version #'s on the files in Sysbckup to the version #'s of the files in the Cabs. You do not want to replace any files with older versions/ To do that, create a new Folder on the desktop and name it "files from the cabs."
    Use SFC to extract a copy of each file listed as changed or corrupted or deleted. But don't put those files in system. Instead, put them in the Folder you have just created on the desktop.
    Right click on each and choose properties. click the version tab.
    Note the version # for each of these files before you try to use them as replacements.
    Get the version #'s of the files SFC has marked as deleted corrupted etc. Compare notes.
    If the version #'s don't match, we will have to find you a source for the correct versions of the missing files.

Also, which version of Win98 are you running please? IF it is First Edition, there are several files it extracts and are from the wrong location and therefore the wrong version causing a problem.
    Before you try to replace anything, get the list of problem files from SFC, go into C:\windows\sysbckup
    Compare the two. Note the files which appear on both lists.
    Get the version #'s for those files in Sysbckup.
    Post back with those.
    There could be several problems. That's why the error message is so important.
    If you have recently installed something which has replaced a system file with one of the wrong version of a file, that would also do it.

5. SyBorg

SyBorg Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply to my problem. However, I don't think you understood my problem. So here it is again...

When I boot the computer, before Windows98 loads up, Microsoft Registry Checker comes up with the following: You have restored a good registry...Windows found an error in your system files & restored a recent backup of the files to fix the problem. When I press enter to restart the computer, it goes back to the same registry checker and repeats the whole process again and again. It seems like a loop. I tried running Scanreg and did restore 2 times old cab files that were backed up, but nothing changed. I went back to the Registry Checker again with the same message. I can't boot up in safe mode and I can't go through a step by step process of booting up because it keeps coming back to the registry checker.

I did see in a safe mode attempt the following:
    HIMEM is testing extended memory...done
    ERROR: HIMEM.SYS has detected unreliable XMS memory @ address 003E6006 XMS driver not installed. HIMEM.SYS is missing. Make sure file is in Windows directory. I checked and it is. What do I do and how do I fix this. Remember, I don't have a Windows98 disk to do a re-install.

Question:confused:
    Can I install Windows95 over Windows98?:confused:

6. BugMaster

BugMaster

1. Go to your c:\windows\sysbckup directory.
    2. Type (sans quotes) "rename rb001.cab rb001.bak"
    3. Type "copy rb002.cab rb001.cab"
    4. Reboot

If this has no effect, retry steps 2 and 3, but in step 3, replace rb002.cab with rb003.cab and so on, until it either works or you run out of backups.

You could also try extracting the old files from said backups.
    Type "extract *.dat rb00x.cab c:\windows" where x is the number of the backup.

To adress the startup disk issue, boot to command prompt, and insert a floppy. Type "format a: /s" Presto. One MS-DOS boot disk. It isn't a Win98 one, but it will have to do.

No you cannot install 95 over 98, not without a reformat. (At least it wouldn't let me.) However, if you want stability, Windows XP Pro or Home is the only way to go.

7. SyBorg

SyBorg Thread Starter

Hi there!

Thanks for your response to our similar problem. I tried everything I could think of and I fiannaly got past the Registry Checker. Loaded in Windows98 and proceeded with the install. All was going well until the reboot and low and behold, it says that I have a damaged or corrupt virtual driver and I must run Setup again. Long story short, Loop d' [email protected]#$%...:mad:

Gave up! What you must do now is format the hard drive and then re-install Windows. That will probably do it. Let me know if this works for you;)

8. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I understood your question very well. If you look you will see there are files in sysbckup which may have been a problem.
    Another possibility is that you have bad RAM or another Hardware problem.
    How much do you have and can you switch out one stick at a time to possibly isolate the problem? It could be a problem with the external cache or several other hardware issues.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q109845

9. gud2bkng

gud2bkng

i am grasping at straws with this one.
    i removed the ethernet card last night (which was on it when it was working) and hooked the HD up to functional Pc. i ran a scanreg and backed up what it found.

then hooked it back up to the non-working PC, skipped most of the drivers it was looking for (i can find all but 2 in cab files) and got the desktop. then a error because i skipped the VGA hardware setup :eek: and it said we had to restart, which put me back into the loop. one of the tech's here at work suggested i place my old Voodoo 3 card in and see if maybe the video drivers are crapping out the final part of setting it up.

i appreciate all this help, and will check back.

10. gud2bkng

gud2bkng

11. SyBorg

SyBorg Thread Starter

What is "bump" :confused:

12. gud2bkng

gud2bkng

the topic had fallen to like page 4 or so, and by posting a "new message" it 'bumps" this post back to page 1 to get more visibility. i posted another topic witha different subject line hoping that maybe would also draw more attention to anyone experienced in registry issues.

so "bump" = moving the thread back to the top of the forums. :)

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The ram issue really needs to be specifically addresed. If it is not possible or practical for you to swap out sticks, you can try a software tester. If it indicates faults, I would accept the verdict, however a "pass" does not necesarily close the case.

http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Install it to a clean floppy and boot it like a startup disk. Let it run for a couple of burnin loops at least. Press 'esc' to terminate.

And how much hard drive space remains on the system? Problems can arise from too little space left for the swap file (virtual memory).

gud2bkng, I'm going to combine your posts here with your other thread to avoid a tangle of two in one.

See also...

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q201655

14. gud2bkng

gud2bkng

thank you, are you moving this thread to the other?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice