1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wndows XP Pro will not load (amdapg.sys)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JCross, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I have a pc that was running windows xp pro until a couple of days ago. Nothing was changed or installed. And I do not not have windows xp sp2 installed. When I started the pc it would try to start windows and go into the options screen of starting in safemode, safe mode w/command prompt and so forth. I would choose safe mode and the system files would start to load and stop and hang on "amdapg.sys" file. I have read that it could have something to do with my AMD chipset. Which I do have. I even tried to do a clean install and still nothing, the xp setup trys to start windows and nothing happens it just sits there. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
    Jim

2. jmerokx

jmerokx

Do have a different video card you can try?

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you tried loading ALL the motherboard drivers for XP?

4. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

I finally got windows XP to load, I don't know what happened, maybe a startup file was corrupted or something. I had to go back to Win 98SE and install it first and then I installed Win Xp, and it installed fine. Something strange must have happened. So far all seems well. Thanks for your help.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Most posts I saw around the Internet was that file being used for Win98, not XP. So that might explain part of the problem.

Also, why did you need to reinstall Win98 before XP? Make things like this happen.

6. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

I was trying anything to get this to install. Everything I had read about regarding this problem, wasn't working. I couldn't even get to the repair screen in windows xp setup to get to the prompt to update/install any file to the AMD chip/motherboard. But it worked, installing an older OS first for some reason. The pc just stopped working one morning for no reason.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I wasn't questioning that it worked. I was just wondering why if you were going to install XP, why you needed to install Win98 first.

One reason for the question is the file may have originally been used by Win98 and kept there when XP was upgraded. So this may have been at the root of the problem all along.

8. JCross

JCross Thread Starter

Ok, just when I thought things were working great, I tried to update to SP2 and the download locked up my pc which is running win Xp pro. When I went to restart the computer I get a gray screen that goes no where. if the win98 file is causing this issue along with my previous problem how to I fix this. I tried before installing windows XP pro from the cd doing a clean install but the setup program locks up on the amdapg.sys file and will not let me install. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
    Jim

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

From what I gathered, before when XP was installed, it was part of an upgrade, not a clean install.

Even with an upgrade version, early on during the install process, all you need to do is insert the Win98 CD as proof of having a previous OS. You don't, and probably shouldn't, install Win98 first. It is exactly these types of problems that can happen.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice