1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WnPCA

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cathyfcerta1, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cathyfcerta1

cathyfcerta1 Thread Starter

What does this mean when I get an error during bootup on my xp machine it says WnPCA has had a fatal error and has to shut down.
    after I hit ok everything seems to work fine??

2. stod73

stod73

You sure you're spelling that error correctly? I can't find anything on it....

3. itpro420

itpro420

I was having problems with my Oracle 9i Intelligent Agent that I could not fix, so I uninstalled all of Oracle 9i, ran REGCLEAN.EXE a couple times on my registry, and rebooted. Now I'm getting this error, too. Microsoft Knowledge Base has no entry for it. Googling the web for WnPCA got me here. I have no idea what this program is. I see this post wasn't resolved, so I'm adding my 2 cents worth. I have Windows XP Home SP2. The attached Word 97 document contains all the dialog boxes and text messages generated.

Anybody got any ideas?

Attached Files:

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It "appears" to be part of the Comcast Transition Wizard?

Based on the gutl.dll that is referenced.

5. itpro420

itpro420

Searching through the registry I found this entry for WnPCA. It appears it is part of AT&T DSL service, which I don't have. I have cable modem through Comcast. I used to have AT&T dial-up and when I switched to cable, I kept my AT&T email and web sites using the AT&T Any Connection Plan.

Don't have any idea why this started failing after I uninstalled Oracle. I'll have to check with AT&T (yeah, right!) to see if they know what this is all about. Maybe I'll see if I can uninstall it.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Recguard"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SMINST\\RECGUARD.EXE"
    "PS2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ps2.exe"
    "KBD"="C:\\HP\\KBD\\KBD.EXE"
    "IgfxTray"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\igfxtray.exe"
    "hpsysdrv"="c:\\windows\\system\\hpsysdrv.exe"
    "HotKeysCmds"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\hkcmd.exe"
    "HPGamesActiveMenu"="C:\\Program Files\\WildTangent\\ActiveMenu\\HP\\Games\\ActiveMenu.exe"
    "Lexmark X6100 Series"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Lexmark X6100 Series\\lxbfbmgr.exe\""
    "avast!"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\ALWILS~1\\Avast4\\ashDisp.exe"
    "ashMaiSv"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\ALWILS~1\\Avast4\\ashmaisv.exe"
    "AT&T DSL Service PCA Program"="C:\\Program Files\\AT&T\\ACP\\programs\\wnpca.exe /ws"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
    "Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
    "Installed"="1"
    "NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
    "Installed"="1"

6. itpro420

itpro420

WnPCA was part of the AT&T Worldnet stuff alright, but when I uninstalled it, the MS IE browser version supplied by AT&T stopped working! Luckily I also have Mozilla Firefox, but I have to figure out how to get rid of the AT&T supplied MS IE and get the standard MS IE reinstalled on my WinXP SP2 machine.

So, if anyone has problems with WnPCA like this, just ignore it and keep on truckin'.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice