1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Woe is Me!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rstoddard, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rstoddard

rstoddard Thread Starter

:( This morning I arose to find my computer screen displaying just my wallpaper, no icons. I hit ctrl,alt, delete; nothing on the screen. Having had this happen before, I knew that if I merely shut the computer down by holding the power button in and then turning it back on, it would start up fine. I then tried that. My screen displayed "no video input," and my keyboard showed no lights. The computer was on, chugging away, but nothing on the screen. I tried powering it down and then up again, several times. Nothing. Is it dead? (It's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion...a couple of years old.) Thanks in advance for any suggestions given.

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

HJello
    does it start in safe mode
    tap f8 a few times on starting up your pc

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, since there's nothing on the screen, and you hear it booting, it's probably a video issue of some sort.

I'd reseat ALL the boards and connectors in the machine first, and also check the connections to the monitor.

4. rstoddard

rstoddard Thread Starter

It's alive!:) In case this happens to any one else, here's what I had to do: I literally had to pull the plug (not just turn it off using the button, but pull the plug out of the power strip.)Then, when I plugged it back in, it came up fine. Weird. I don't know what made me try this, but now it's o.k. The power supply must have a breaker or something that needed to re-set. Thanks for your suggestions.(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice