1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Woes of upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mugaaz, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mugaaz

Mugaaz Thread Starter

I bought a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, case, and cd burner, and I put it all together in the new case. I started it up, everything turns on fine, green light on the motherboard turns on, all the LED's and fan's turn on, but video card isn't working and I was getting no POST beeps, so I removed EVERYTHING from my motherboard so all that was plugged in was the power supply, and I still got no POST beeps so i figured the MB was defective, I returned it and got a new one, and have the EXACT same problem, I can't for the life of me figure it out and am getting PO'ed becuase not all of this stuff is still returnable, help please.

Thanks in Advance
    Mugaaz

P.S.

MB: ASUS A7A266
    CPU: AMD Anthalon 1.7 Gghz
    RAM: 512MB DDR

2. Ryan21

Ryan21

Whats the watt output of the power supply. A proccessor like that needs 400 watts. Just a stab.

3. Mugaaz

Mugaaz Thread Starter

It's a 300 WATT Power Supply, you think that is the problem? Someone told me that if the CPU is defective/ not installed that you won't get any POST beeps, Is this true? I thought MB POST beeps worked no matter what?

Thanks

4. ich

ich

It's not necessarily the power supply, although it could be.

I'm running my 1800+ on a high quality 300 Watt PS, along with 2 x 7200 RPM HD's, 52X CDROM, 16X DVD, 16x10x40 CDRW, 4 case fans, a monster HSF, floppy, all the normal cards (modem, sound, NIC, 4x AGP) my MSI K7T Pro2-RU motherboard has 6 onboard USB ports, one of which charges up my Visor Prism. All this with no problem.
    The determining factor is the quality of the PS, not the overall Wattage rating. I suggest that, if you're concerned, you should check out AMD's Recommended Power Supply page.

The only time I've ever been unable to make a Motherboard generate beeps by pulling all RAM (until recently) was when the MB was bad.
    I recently had the joy of experiencing a new one - It's been a couple months and I don't remember exactly (which is really pissing me off!) but I think it was the Asus a7v133 - Anyway, this wonderful motherboard manufacturer apparently decided that the industry standard wasn't good enough. The motherboard is supplied with a 5V lead and a 2.5V lead from the powersupply, the manufacturer decided that, rather than run the processor off the 2.5V lead and everything else off the 5V, they were going to ignore the 2.5V lead entirely and put the CPU on the same source as everything else. Suffice it to say that I experience difficulties.

Bottom line is board or power (I'd lean towards it being a bad board based on experience with about a dozen identical problems) - take your pick as to which is easiest to trouble-shoot or return. Being the lazy guy that I am, I'd probably try to find/beg/borrow/steal another computer with a known good quality PS, take both cases off, and wire the MB leads from the loaner into your problem machine just to see if you can get some beeps out of it. I actually ran a server like that for an entire day before I could take it down and replace the PS :D

Good luck!

-Edit: Kaint spel wurth a durn-

5. Ryan21

Ryan21

Just came to memmory. When I built the PC I am working with now, I did just as you are doing, piece by piece. When I strated it up I got what you got...nothing. I thought I had broken it and spent all the money for nothing. So I contacted the motherboard manufacturer and asked them hey whats up? THey solved my prob real quick

answer. My board was originally designed to handle up to a 750 MHZ p3, whne I bought the board thought it had been cleared to handle up to 933mhz. SO it could a 933, but when the board was first built a 933 didn't exist, so I took a 400 from my dad pc, placed it in and it booted fine, next I flashed the MB with the lates revision and was set to go. I truly believe this is your answer. I did some checking on your board at asus, always ignore what the retailer is telling you, asus originally desighned that board to handle up to 1.2 ghz
    http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7a266/overview.htm
    but asus knew speeds would increase, asn so desighned the board to be able to expand.
    I think this file will solve your problem

http://cgi.asus.com.tw/cgi-bin/dl.asp?filename=mb/socka/m1647/a7a266/aa26108b.zip

hope this helps

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice