1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

WOL connection on motherboard

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rags, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

Ihave a IBM personal computer 350. I want to install a network card but I cannot find the WOL on the motherboard, can anyone help

2. brianF

brianF

Not all motherboards have wol, (wake on lan). It is not necessary just an added feature that allows a remote machine to wake the machine over the network.

If you don't have it don't worry about it, the network card will work fine without it

3. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

Thanks man, I appreciate your quick response, here is wishing you the best of the season and Happy New Year

4. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

I just installed my Nic on my IBM PC 350 and it was not working. I checked the System in Control Panel and I got this message " This device is disabled because the BIOS for the device did not give it an IRQ( Interrupt Request" code 29

What can I do?

5. brianF

brianF

That's a new one on me.

Try it in another slot

6. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

I tried hooking up my IBM pc 350 48mb, 1gb directly to my internet highspeed cable but it kept locking up.

My intention was to use this pc as a client, I installed a D- link card on my Hp 850mhz>128mb>30.0gb>which is already hooked up and working fine and the same D-link nic on this computer, I was connecting them with a crossover cable. but it kept locking up the ibm350.

I finally hooked up the Hp directly using the D-link and it worked I then switched the D-link nics, the hp worked the ibm pc 350 locked up,

Is it possible my pc 350 is not capable of hooking up to High Speed???

7. brianF

brianF

what os is on the ibm, if you never got rid of the error I doubt it will work. I never found an answer for that error code

Going to move to networking, maybe somebody else has an idea what's going on with your ibm.

8. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

Sorry Brian, the error was because the nic on the 350 was in conflict with my modem card, it had the same IRQ. I removed the Modem card on the computer and also physically from the computer. I then reinstalled the nic, and it installed properly, no errors this time.

I also forgot to mention that my pc 350 is 133mhz and has windows 98se on it.

You said "Going to move to networking, maybe somebody else has an idea what's going on with your ibm". What does that mean?? Isn't this networking?

Thanks for the response

9. brianF

brianF

irq's where my next stop. Glad it's working

I moved it to network from where you had originally posted it in hardware I believe, either that or I drank too much on new years, but I don't drink :)

10. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

I have a H Pavilion> 850mhz>128mb>30.0, Windows Me hooked up to my Intenet High Speed cable.

I want to check if I could also hook up my IBM pc 350, 133mxz, 1gb windows 98se directly to the modem. I removed the Hp off modem

When I do it it locks up my pc350, cursor won't move, I have changed the pc 350 comp id and workgroup to the same as the HP Pavilion

Any idea what could be wrong

Ps Brian f was supposed to move my original thread to networking from hardware but being a newbie I have no idea what he is talking abot

pls help

11. Rockn

Rockn

Get an inexpensive hub or switch and leave them both connected.

12. Rags

Rags Thread Starter

That is what I am trying to do.

Here is what I tried already:

I installed a d-link nic in my HP. It also has a Nic that my cable supplier installed, this is the nic that my Hp is directly hooked to my modem,so two nics on my HP. I have a d-link nic in my pc350. I connected them using a crossover cable and my pc 350 locked up.

I connected my Hp directly to my modem using the D-link nic it worked, I switched the D-link card from my pc350 to the HP it worked, which tells me all my nics are working.

I then tried hooking up my pc350 directly to the modem, it locked up, I was told to change the computer ID and Workgroup on my PC350 to same as HP, I did, it locked up

Any other suggestions??

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice