1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won’t boot up after someone yanked the cord

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Paulmarkheadley, Dec 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paulmarkheadley

Paulmarkheadley Thread Starter

Dell w Intel Core 2 vPro, n Series, disc is WDC WD 3200AVJS-63WDA0,Windows 7 home, was turning itself on even after I set all settings to “don’t wake up.” Helpful person pulled the cord to shut it off. Now won’t start. W repair disc can run some diagnostics, even restore point but still says “a problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is .......etc. “ The Startup Repair, repair and diagnosis said there is “Number of root causes = 1” but doesn’t know what it is. Obviously if the computer would start I could tell you all the hardware components. What does this problem sound like? I’m a halfway savvy user, and have been watching Carey’s videos.
    I've tried MBRfixer on HBCD repair disc. what next?
    Maybe reinstall OS? Help! And THANK you ahead of time.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. Paulmarkheadley

Hi there

Attached Files:

3. tecknurd

tecknurd

First select show more restore points and select one older than November 2018.

Second, if that doesn't work, run the repair using Windows install cd.

Third if that doesn't work and can't boot into safe mode, backup all data and do a clean install of Windows not upgrade. Can do an upgrade, but an upgrade is different compared to a clean install. An upgrade install will keep your files. Backup still require if you do an upgrade option.

In Windows 7 power saving features, all you need to do is select "High Performance." You can fine tune "High Performance" by selecting "change plan settings."

Put a label on the end of the power cord stating "Pulling the cord is NOT how we turn off the computer." Educate the person how to power down the computer.

4. Paulmarkheadley

Running HBCD i came across he message “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file.

How do I do that?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice