1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wondering 2nd router might cause trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PE_Mac, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

My grandson's router seems to have quit working. It worked fine for several months, then a couple days ago, he could no longer connect to the Internet. He did the usual things of turning off his computer, unplugging the router and modem, then reconnecting all of them with no luck. After I spent a few hours trying to resolve the issue, I gave up and brought the router home thinking I could try to figure it out here.

I have a second modem and want to connect his router to it and connect a laptop with an Ethernet cord to the router. My concern is, can I mess up my router settings since this would all be connected to the same cable source. Or would it even be possible?

My router is a Linksys and his is a Netgear if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.
    Peg:confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There's no way one router can affect the other router when they are not connected together on the same network, being connected to the same cable service still makes them independent.

But is the second modem authorized by the cable company and working? If not you may only be able to connect the router but not get any internet, but connecting to the router and being able to log into it's internal menus would be step one anyway and an internet connection is not required for that anyways.

What is the exact model and revision of the router?

3. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

I'm not sure what it means for the second modem to be authorized by the cable company. We just thought our modem was bad when we were having trouble with our cable Internet connection and bought another one. We can now connect both modems to different cable connections in the house, so that is what I did. Is that wrong?

My grandson's router is Netgear G54 Wireless Router WGR614v10. Is that what you needed?

Thanks.
    Peg

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's not wrong I guess, but it certainly is highly unusual. In general Comcast and other cable ISPs require the modem's MAC address to be registered with them and only one per account at any time. You are the first person I've encountered who can connect to cable or DSL with multiple modems simultaneously.

5. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

Very strange. My #1 modem that I normally use was purchased at Walmart and the one I am using to test my grandson's router was purchased from Comcast when I first got cable ISP. They are both Motorola. ???

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The reason they need to be authorized is so that the ISP allows them onto their network and thats also how they determine what speed and download cap you get as well. So when it was bought someone would generally have to call in to get it authorized or activated or the address of the old one cloned over to new one.

Now DSL is different you simply enter the username and password and you're good to go. Is this a cable or DSL(phone) internet connection?

I have two cable modems at my house on the same service, but both are authorized separately from the cable company.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like you got the router working though, is that correct? If so you may want to see if it has a firmware update, you might as well do that if you are testing it as there may be some significant fixes there worth getting.

8. PE_Mac

PE_Mac Thread Starter

My ISP is Comcast cable. I really have no idea what we did when we bought it. It has been about 2 years ago. I'm thinking we just went to the store and bought what they had on the shelf and brought it home and connected it. It turned out it wasn't our modem at all, but Comcast was doing some work somewhere near us and it caused us to keep losing our signal. it went on for about a week then we had no more problems. Then recently we lost the signal a couple times again. My husband's computer is at the other end of our house and he would walk to this end to see if the modem lights were all lit before trying to find out what was wrong that he couldn't get online. We had a TV in a room that we don't use any more, so I took the second modem and connected it in that room so he could check right away, to see that the modem was fully lit. Now, I'm wondering if I was even right on that. That modem is fully lit, but maybe there is no Internet access there. I will have to check that out today.

Sorry, as you can probably tell, I just know enough to be dangerous.

If there is no access there, would it create any problems for our connection if I replace our router with his Netgear router and set it up here, then take it back to him and re-attach ours? Or would that do any good for making it work at his apartment at all. He definitely needs a wireless connection as he has a smart phone and can't afford to use it at home without the wireless access. I've thought about just purchasing a new router for him, but didn't know if that would fix the problem or not as I'm not sure the Netgear router is bad.

I'm sorry if this is all confusing as my head is spinning with what to do next.

Thank you for taking the time to try to help.
    Peg

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you switch the device (router in your case) connected to the modem you need to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem. Sometimes, but not very often, you have to unplug the modem longer. Otherwise, you can switch routers as often as you want.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice