1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wondering about .exe files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ConFused21, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ConFused21

ConFused21 Thread Starter

I am I guess what you folks would call a newbie, so if I am not supposed to ask a question like this, or if I"m asking in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance!!!

I want to know if there is a way to take the .exe extension out of one of these files.

When I email a file like this, the .exe always shows up in the attachment. I DONT want the .exe showing up.

Is there an easy way to get rid of this so the file will show what I have renamed it WITHOUT the .exe extension?

Please note, I am NOT trying to email out a virus.... the program I am emailing gets detected by virus scanners though so this is why I want to get rid of the extension.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. steamwiz

steamwiz

You could try changing the extension to .txt - with instructions to the recipient to change it back to .exe

I think it depends on the make up of the .exe file as to whether this will work or not

Try doing this and sending it to yourself and see if it works.

3. ConFused21

ConFused21 Thread Starter

Maybe I should have clarified, I am pretty illiterate when it comes to stuff like this. I have searched this forum and the web to come up with a solution, and I have found nothing.

The .exe file I am trying to use is a joke file. I cannot change the extenstion and ask the recipient to change it back to .exe (long story), so it just has to be changed so that the program can be automatically opened from email, but not showing the .exe file.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this so people can understand? It is very important for me to do this, and for the email recipient to open this file - again, long story, I can explain if you'd like, but I have to say again, I am NOT trying to send a virus...

4. steamwiz

steamwiz

I don't see how it can be done

I believe you when you say you don't want to send a virus, but if what you are asking were possible, many other people would be using it to send a virus

sorry I can't be of more help

steam

5. sekirt

sekirt

It wouldn't be automatic even if it went through as an EXE. The person would have to click on it and then click OPEN.

Any specific details you can supply about a "joke" EXE would be good. My guess right now, a Joke.EXE is technically a virus/trojan whether it is called a joke or not.

For instance:
    Something that would alter the icons or mouse when they go to use them. Or something saying the hard drive is being fomatted. Although harmless and meant as a joke.

sekirt

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If the program you are mailing gets detected as a virus, then something is wrong with it to begin with. I have emailed .exe files before and no such thing happens. I don't think I like what you are attempting to do and am going to close the thread. Please look elsewhere for your childish games.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice