1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wondering how to keep track of usage

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ladytaxiracer, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ladytaxiracer

Ladytaxiracer Thread Starter

I am getting ready to sign up with a company that only gives me 250GB per month. Is there a program that I can use on my desk top that will let me see how many GB I am using a month? Can not afford to go over the limit.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 1014 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 142412 MB, Free - 64368 MB; D: Total - 10213 MB, Free - 2787 MB;
    Motherboard: ELITEGROUP, 945GCT-M3
    Antivirus: Norton Security with Backup, Updated and Enabled

2. 2twenty2

2twenty2

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you checked with that company to see if they offer monitoring tools?

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. Johnny2K

Johnny2K

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some routers also support data usage monitoring and limits.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Whoever has Comcast needs to check the particulars in their market. From what I understand, the enforcement of the data caps depends on which market you reside in and the data plan you have. In my particular case, my account shows the 250 GB data cap but also has a notation that the data cap is temporarily suspended. I think Comcast is sizing up usage among different data plans and trying to formulate what they feel is a reasonable data cap for each tier.

8. Ladytaxiracer

I have had Comcast for over 10 years and as far as I know I have no cap...it is unlimited. If I leave my computer with a web page up on it...when I come back it takes a few minutes for it to speed up, but I just thought it was my computer...did not have any settings like sleep or stand by , but it is old...LOL

9. Ladytaxiracer

Thanks...I will check...just got the modem today..haven't had time to check it out.

10. Ladytaxiracer

Thank you....I will check this site out..

11. Ladytaxiracer

Have not checked...but will...thank you

12. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Leaving a computer running with a webpage open for hours will not use data. It is when you click and start downloading things that data usage occurs. Likewise uploading things to dropbox, onedrive, googledrive will also use data.

13. Ladytaxiracer

I was wondering about that....I have a habit of being on Facebook...my dispatcher calls me to go pick up a taxi fare and I run off and forget to close out. Makes me feel better knowing it won't use data. I wish I could get someone to teach me about MBs and GBs. I get worried as to how many I am using. My Tom loves to watch YouTube on TV which he does through his tablet by way of his tablet. Wondering how many MBs that will use per video. Is there any web site I can go that will teach me about MBs? I'm sorry..I have been on the internet since 1997, and though I have learned a lot...MBs have never been a problem till now...so I haven't bothered to check it out. Would so appreciate any information about that and would love to understand adding memory to my old Vista Computer. I know where it goes and how to put it inside the computer, but not sure how much it will allow me to add.

14. Ladytaxiracer

Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply. I know that they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but my grandmother always told me "you are never too old to learn"...she lived to be 101...said if she didn't learn something new every day, the day was kind of wasted! LOL

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice