Wondering how to keep track of usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ladytaxiracer

I am getting ready to sign up with a company that only gives me 250GB per month. Is there a program that I can use on my desk top that will let me see how many GB I am using a month? Can not afford to go over the limit.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1014 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 142412 MB, Free - 64368 MB; D: Total - 10213 MB, Free - 2787 MB;
Motherboard: ELITEGROUP, 945GCT-M3
Antivirus: Norton Security with Backup, Updated and Enabled

Oddba11

Jim
It's My Birthday!
Have you checked with that company to see if they offer monitoring tools?

Triple6

Rob
Some routers also support data usage monitoring and limits.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Comcast gives users 250GB/month
I go here http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/monthly-usage-history
and click on Usage Meter Details. I then log in and can see what I've used so far in the month as well as previous months.

Your ISP should have some sort of usage meter that you can check.
Whoever has Comcast needs to check the particulars in their market. From what I understand, the enforcement of the data caps depends on which market you reside in and the data plan you have. In my particular case, my account shows the 250 GB data cap but also has a notation that the data cap is temporarily suspended. I think Comcast is sizing up usage among different data plans and trying to formulate what they feel is a reasonable data cap for each tier.

Ladytaxiracer

I have had Comcast for over 10 years and as far as I know I have no cap...it is unlimited. If I leave my computer with a web page up on it...when I come back it takes a few minutes for it to speed up, but I just thought it was my computer...did not have any settings like sleep or stand by , but it is old...LOL

plodr

Liz
Leaving a computer running with a webpage open for hours will not use data. It is when you click and start downloading things that data usage occurs. Likewise uploading things to dropbox, onedrive, googledrive will also use data.

Ladytaxiracer

I was wondering about that....I have a habit of being on Facebook...my dispatcher calls me to go pick up a taxi fare and I run off and forget to close out. Makes me feel better knowing it won't use data. I wish I could get someone to teach me about MBs and GBs. I get worried as to how many I am using. My Tom loves to watch YouTube on TV which he does through his tablet by way of his tablet. Wondering how many MBs that will use per video. Is there any web site I can go that will teach me about MBs? I'm sorry..I have been on the internet since 1997, and though I have learned a lot...MBs have never been a problem till now...so I haven't bothered to check it out. Would so appreciate any information about that and would love to understand adding memory to my old Vista Computer. I know where it goes and how to put it inside the computer, but not sure how much it will allow me to add.

Ladytaxiracer

Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply. I know that they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but my grandmother always told me "you are never too old to learn"...she lived to be 101...said if she didn't learn something new every day, the day was kind of wasted! LOL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online