Wonky laptop with freezing issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DMM1

I don't want to start off with an essay and overwhelm anyone. I've tried the basics, run malwarebytes, replaced the HDD, updated a few drivers, etc. Since I've yet to determine a pattern on why this happens or why it goes away for weeks at a time, let me start with this question. When it freezes I hold the power button to turn it off. What is going on when I press the button, the lappy lights up, but nothing boots. Can BIOS go bad? It does come back after one or two tries.

Basically if I know I'm venturing into hard to solve hardware issues, I have to decide how much effort I put into fixing this. Right now all I can see is the freezing tends to occur after I've gotten a 'video driver has crashed and recovered' message.

Which version of Windows is it using? Win 10, Win 8 .... ?

You can go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapter. Right click on the driver and choose Update.

DMM1

It's Win 7 (and I'd prefer to keep it if possible, hope that doesn't turn away any help). That driver is one thing I updated. Uses an Intel chip and I have a utility from them that says it's up to date. I thought once maybe the default drivers were best but that doesn't explain why it works for weeks at a time, then I get a bad day or two with frequent lockups.

*I've worked (or fought) with PC's for a long time, built my own once. This is an aggravating issue and maybe someone has seen something like this. The Toshiba monitor says it's not overheating either. Hopefully I can solve the first issue before figuring out the rest.

If the driver is good, then it is the program that is using the driver that is bad. Maybe you need to update the program(s).

DMM1

It's pretty much only for web browsing. No games, little bit of MP3 playback or minor photo editing. Firefox has frozen on Ebay, on YT, posting on a forum, or just using the home button on FF. Using version 86, 64 bit.

Trying to think what else I can mention. Can't be certain it's ever frozen without FF running, other than the boot up problem after a hard shut down. Don't see any unusual processes, definitely not maxing out my hardware. Again this has been a pain in my ass for some time now, off and on. Nothing stands out in event viewer, just unexpected shutdown and errors that don't sound related.

Other than a couple new HDD's and a replacement battery the hardware is unchanged. Last year I even tore it apart far enough to clean the heatsink and fan. Didn't check thermal paste.

DMM1

Ok, I'll give that a try after work tomorrow and see if that does anything. Thanks so far.

DMM1

If you don't mind me asking - is this more for a clean baseline? I haven't touched those settings in a long time so I wouldn't suspect anything there to be the cause.

Last night was ok. Now it just froze when I clicked reply and again after a reboot and loading FF... At least if it was consistent I could narrow down what is or isn't the problem.

DMM1

Haven't tried anything yet because I haven't needed to reboot all evening. It literally goes away on its own to pop up again in a few weeks or months.

DMM1

Finally froze again just after bringing it out of sleep (moved the mouse). Reset BIOS and redid a few small settings like turn off the trackpad and the open lid-power on function. As soon as I saved and exited, it booted to a black screen like I said in the first post. Power off, on, nothing. Black screen, no HDD activity so it's not like my screen went bad. Another off and on brought it to the Toshiba logo, booted ok. Any idea what causes a failed boot? If the HDD was bad I'd get errors at least.

You might not get error messages while you have the Toshiba logo showing. Go into BIOS and disable Quick Boot or Show Logo.

DMM1

I'll look on the next reboot. To clarify, if the HDD was failing wouldn't I get a 'media not present' error? I've lost 2 other drives on the lappy over the years. This is a failure before it gets to that point which is what I don't understand yet.

I think I get what you mean though. The long boot will show the process.

DMM1

Happened again. I have 2 choices, fast and normal and it's set to normal. Anything else I can try to get some more info?

*I opened the thing last year to clean the heatsink and fan, didn't see anything suspicious. When I said I replaced parts the HDD is solid state (the previous ones weren't) and I purchased a third party battery with good reviews when the original just wasn't holding much charge anymore. I'm rarely on battery though, could the charger be doing something? Trying to think if power issues could be to blame.

Last edited:

DMM1

Back again. Been working for a couple weeks then today had 2 freezes on different sites. One restart froze before the Toshiba logo appeared (as noted above), and another time froze while that was showing. Still no idea why it's so random. Haven't touched anything in BIOS or installed/removed anything recently. Is there something else we can try? I've fixed this plenty over the years but this has me stumped.

DMM1

Froze during a YT video. Reboot but it came up a blinking cursor for a change. Reboot and it froze while loading Win. Can SSD's go bad after only a year or two? I know that's probably a stupid question, anything mass produced can go bad. Doesn't explain why it works for a few weeks then annoys me for a few days.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online