1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wont boot, bios/clock errors-how much to replace a cmos battery to fix this problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by extent, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. extent

extent Thread Starter

Its a packard bell laptop, and the system started to freeze for no reason. No viruses. Now, I can usually only move the mouse pointer-if it lets me start windows at all (xp). As of tonight, the system wouldnt let me even pass the startup screen, it kept asking for a non existent system password to continue! The system bios clock seems to reset itself too, so I believe the whole problem to be related to the cmos battery.

My main question is, how much should I roughly be expected to pay for a cmos battery and installation from a general pc repair store? The laptop is out of warranty, so I dont really want to be spending £30+ just for Packard to find and install one either. The reason I need someone else to do it is because this particular packard system has the most awkward setup, and therefore access to the battery is next to impossible..

as you can see from my (slightly blurry) photo-
    http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2219/cmoslocation.png

there are only 3 panels on the back of the machine that you can remove- 1 hard drive, 2 ram, and 3 wifi card (I think!).. the cmos battery (the circle!) is to the right of one of the panels, under the casing. I have tried removing the entire casing, all screws and connections, and even from the front, trying to get to it by removing the keyboard, but it proved impossible to me, so Id rather get someone else to do it. No doubt the difficulty is on purpose so that you would always send it to packard for repair, and for a high price, but this laptop is from 2006 and out of warranty.. so for how much should I have to pay in total from a third party repair shop? I know the cmos batteries themselves (if the type I need is easy to find) are usually next to nothing in price, but what would you pay for installation?

thanks for any help/suggestions :)

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If there's a dismantling guide for your laptop online you could try to fit a new battery yourself.
    If you're ok with that post the exact model of your laptop and I/we will help you look.

Otherwise to get the best deal I would phone a few small local computer shops and compare their prices with big chains like PC World.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964580

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice