#1 ·
Hey,

System: ECS KM400-M2 3.0
AMD XP 1600
CDRW (i think)
Onboard video
Floppy
40GB HD

I changed the bootup order to both floppy,cdrom,HD and cdrom,floppy,hd and no go. When i put the cd in (tried xp and fedora), and it goes on to the part where it says "boot from cd" it skips a blank line and just goes straight to windows.

Any ideas how to get it to boot the cd?

Stevo

#2 ·
Im sure it says press any key to boot from cd, try pressing any key when it says that.

#3 ·
Nope it dosent, just says boot from cd, skips a line quick and boots windows.

#5 ·
i'm trying to create a dual boot system myself. I've already partitioned my hard drive and i have the linux red hat install disc. Yet even though cd rom is checked in the bios as the first boot location... it does the same thing. it says boot from cd... a second goes by and then windows xp boots. :mad:

#6 ·
are you using a MS windows xp disc? Discs tha have been copied my not boot unless they were made from an ISO image properly. And if this is a copy remember Software piracy is illegal.

#7 ·
Well Fedora automatically loads itself from the CD, with or without your permission.
Have you made sure the disk is when you turn the PC on, it sounds like you have no disk?

Do you hear the CD drive spin? Lights come on?

Try removing the HD from the boot order completly, boot CD, Floppy.

#8 ·
If he is getting the boot from CD message then he CDrom sees that a disc is present, butif the ISO image is faulty it may just bypass and go to windows. THen again if the CDrom is bad it may do this also. Cheese have you tried booting from these particular cd's in a different machine? that you know works properly? If not try it, then if they do boot on a different machine then you have a set up or a hardware problem. So verify the CD's first.

#9 ·
this is beyond me as to why... but even though the manual and logic dictated for me to install from cd 1, it only booted when i put in cd 2 and then began the installation. Then at some point near the end it instructed me to put in cd 2. So i promptly put in cd 1 and it finished installing. This has not inspired a great deal of confidence in me as far as red hat is concerned. But it worked for me so good luck... :cool:

#10 ·
This program will create a bootable floppy disk. If your machine can boot from a floppy, booting from this floppy will transfer the boot to your CD-ROM, provided there is a bootable CD in the drive.
This should work whether or not booting from CD is enabled in your BIOS setup, and should work even on machines that do not have a CD-ROM boot option at all.

If it doesn't work for you, let me know that, too. It's a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.