1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't boot from Hard Disk or CD - all h/w checks OK

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by francesday, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. francesday

francesday Thread Starter

Using a Dell Inspirion with Windows XP SP2. At boot up, goes to either hard drive or to CD (can direct it from Setup menu) but then absolutely nothing happens at all. Screen just blank. Have run all diagnostics on Disk, Memory, CPU, DMA etc., - all report everything OK.

After selecting CD for boot, it starts to read the CD (disk starts up etc) but never gets to boot dialogue. After selecting Hard Disk, pretty much the same thing.

Any ideas anyone? I'm totally puzzled out on this one.

:confused:

Frances

2. giggimom

giggimom

Hello, I noticed your post today as I am searching for resolve myself for the same issue. This came from no where for me also. I just did a restart on the 21st and returned to see the black screen. Ran the Dell Sys Test and everything passed. I had to upgrade to this drive as the other had ran out of space so I was able to hook the other back up as the master and the non boot one up as secondary. Once I got into XP and Disk management there it was and it showed to be healthy. My drive is a Maxtor> now owned by Seagate. I went to their website and they have a download to check the drive. When the test completed as passed and with the Dell Test as passed and it showing to be healthly under Disk management I am thinking that physcially the drive is ok and hopefully the same in your case. The seagate help said that when the test passed that one or more of following reasons are the problem.
    File Corruption
    Driver Corruption
    Broken Master Boot Record
    Virus or Trojan attack
    Spyware, Adware & Keystroke loggers
    Hardware conflicts.
    I know that in my case I can rule out virus, trojan, spyware, adware & keystroke loggers. I have not installed any knew software or hardware so for now I am ruling out the hardware conflicts. But as I read more on the possible cause of the first 3 being power outage or not being shut down correctly. This was something I knew but had forgotten that I discover my battery in the battery backup had died when the electricity had gone off a couple of weeks ago and then off & on 2 or 3 more time before I could get the computer unplugged as it kelpt trying to restart. Even with it not showing that it had affected anything maybe it did and just took this amount of time to show up with me being one of those that leaves my computer running most of the time. Anyway with my first attempt to boot from xp boot disk or xp disk (oem from Dell) failing I have been stuck all day on how to get it to boot. When I finish with this post I am going to shut down and reconnect the drive back as master and try a couple of things. If one or the other works I will let you know. If you have found a resolve please do post it here in your thread.

I know I went into a lot of detail but did so just in case someone else reads this and has an idea for resolve for you or I and if any of the things in my case is like yours. With the lights coming on the drive and the floppy is reading and the cd drive doing the same but never going any further I just feel like it is a broken master boot record. So if anyone would know how to repair a master boot record while the drive is connected as a secondary, since neither Frances or myself can not boot to drive on startup it would be great for some input.
    Thanks, giggimom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice