won't boot into Windows, keeps ending up at "C:\Windows" prompt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
A

adaugherty

This computer is using win98se operating sys.
Computer was shutdown, it was rebooted. The Windows splash screen came up, then it went back to black screen at the C:\WINDOWS prompt.

I tried using win98se bootdisk, and doing a [SYS C:]
Rebooted.
Still ends up at C:\WINDOWS

Tried [win /wx]
Rebooted.

Tried [REN AUTOEXEC.BAT AUTOEXEC.OLD]
Rebooted.
Finally, something dif, but still not good.
It said that WIN.COM was missing or corrupted.

The next thing I think I might try is:
Bootdisk to cd-rom support
and extract a new win.cnf file and rename it to win.com
Does this look right?

EXTRACT D:\WIN98_25.CAB WIN.CNF /I C:\WINDOWS

I'll wait till I hear from one of you before extracting file, just
in case you have another idea.

Thanks ahead!
adaugherty

A

adaugherty

Didn't work AcaCandy.
Replacing the win.com file got rid of the win.com error message, but it still went back to C:\WINDOWS.

WhitPhil, I may give your idea a try, but I'm a little hesitant because it's ending up at C:\WINDOWS, not C:\> , or the BOOT MENU.

Any more ideas anyone?
I really would like to try at least one more thing before resorting to a win98 re-install.

-adaugherty

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
At that point, type:

win
and press enter

What happens?

At the C:\Windows, Type in and make it look like this C:\Windows\Options\Cabs See if you can get anything at this point...

A

adaugherty

AcaCandy, that was one of the first things I tried.
After typing win, it goes through (what appears to be) a normal bootup. Then comes the Win Splash screen. Then it goes back to C:\WINDOWS

It WILL boot in to SAFE MODE, however.

Have you tried restoring a previous registry? From a command prompt enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a prior started registry. Don't go for the 5th or oldest, as it probably wont restore properly due to a bug.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
If that doesn't work, this is probably a 'long shot' but try typing:

exit
and press enter
at the c:\windows prompt.

Also, when you said you tried this:

Tried [win /wx]
Rebooted.

It was from a 'safe command prompt' boot, correct?

hehehe - that would be funny, AcaCandy!

It will boot in Safe Mode, huh? Did you ever try WhitPhil's suggestion? That really does sound like it could be the prob.

A

adaugherty

Rollin' Rog, I DID do a scanreg /restore BUT, I only chose 5th day, then the 4th day. Neither would restore. I haven't actually chosen a more recent date.

AcaCandy, I DIDN'T do the win /wx in "safe mode command prompt". I remember now, I just chose Command Prompt at the boot menu instead of Safe Mode C:\>
Shouyld I give it a try again in "Safe Mode Command Prompt"?

Angel, I think I'll go ahead and try Whitphil's suggestion:
DELTREE C:\WINBOOT.INI

I appreciate the suggestions.
adaugherty

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Look at the scanreg /restore dates....if they are all after your problem began, then neither one of them will help you.

And yes, I'd try it again from a 'safe command prompt' since that is what the big "M" suggests :)

Since scanregistry is a part of the startup profile, I don't see how it could replace with a recent date unless a boot in normal mode occured. I've never investigated this -- but if you see more recent dates than the original bad shutdown one that led to the problem, evidently it does. I'd like to know :rolleyes:

(Unless the fall back to c:\windows occurs after the registry is restored and loaded)

Pst...

You can also try:

scanreg /fix

Anyway since you can get to Windows in safe mode, you can go to start and run: msconfig

Do some "cleanboot" troubleshooting....

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Duh, sorry Rog....you're right.......I better take the rest of the afternoon off......either that or go get a lottery ticket..... :confused:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online