Won't Boot or Post

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rowayn

Hello all,
Maybe someone could help me with a problem that I am having.
I am running a Tbird 700 on a Epox EP-8KTA motherboard w/ VIA KT133 AGPset. I have 256mb of ram and a 15 gig hd and an ATI EXPERT2000 AGP 32mb video card. I was playing Pool of Radiance for a few hours and then saved and stopped. About 5 and 1/2 hours later, I checked the weather online (dsl) and then closed everything down to the desktop. Which is where I usually leave the computer, running with only windows desktop up and no programs running. Roughly 1 hour later I came back to the desktop to find that it had hung about a 1/2 earlier (the clock was stuck at the hang time). I tried to reset and nothing. I tried turning off the computer at the switch in the back and nothing.
I tried:
-switching out the ram
-disconnecting everything but the ram, hd, floppy, video card
-disconnecting everything but the ram, hd, video card
-reseating everything
-clearing the CMOS
-including doing it by removing the CMOS battery
and none of these things worked in rebooting the computer.
With everything connected I can turn it on and the cpu fan starts and the cdrw led pops on and then off, the cdrom led stays on,
the hd led stays on, the floppy doesn't run at all, the monitor sits in standby mode with its led flashing, and the computer won't even post. I would normally start to try and figure out if I burned something out, but this has happened two other times. Both times I shipped my computer back to the supplier and both times it has come back and booted up. Let me correct that statement, the first time I sent the whole thing, the second time I just sent the mother board. Both times the computer was down as little as 2 weeks and as long as 1 month. I am trying to avoid that and the only thing that they replaced was the cpu fan, which they did when I shipped them the mb and I don't know why the other one was working fine. Any suggestions? Please send whatever you think might help before I have to ship this thing back to these dorks and lose my computer for another month at my expense.
Much Thanks in advance!

Hi rowayn

Try disconnecting everything but the ram, video card, memory, and CPU and see if you can get the POST showing up on the CRT. If so you can add the removed items back one by one.

Are the hard drive and cdrom on the same cable? The lights shouldn't be staying on.

rowayn

Thanks for responding!
Yes the cdrom and the hd are on the same cable, b/c the cdrw needed (according to the instructions) to be on its own cable and the leds are staying on. I tried to disconnect everything but the memory, video card, and cpu. No luck though, it just sits there.
Thanks, any other ideas? :(

Last Idea
You might try hooking up the motherboard outside of the case as it might be shorting to something (frame/standoff) in the PC. If you cant get a display at least you know that it is either the video card, motherboard, cpu, memory, or power supply. Are you running a 300 watt supply? I think it is required (or strongly suggested) for the Thunderbirds.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online