1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

wont boot past bios.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bHeidel, Sep 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bHeidel

bHeidel Thread Starter

Replaced my motherboard on a PB 150 with a new board and 233hzCPU. I have 64mg ram running win98 with a C:&D drive and a cdrom (G). The c& d HD have an exact copy of each other. It seems the system wont boot the operating system after the bios loads.Can I change the boot drive in the bios and see if the system loads from The D: drive? What else could be wrong??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

You will have to determine yourself by going into the bios and checking itf it allows bootup from specific drives or not. You say you replaced the MB an CPU, did you reformant and reload the OS and Programs over again or simply place the old HDs into the new system? If you did not do a clean install, the old paramaters for the board and system are still listed in Windows and there is a conflict between what was and what is now seen on bootup. You state that C:\ and D:\ drives are exact copies of each other. If your saved information is indeed identical between the 2drives, I would use a Win98 boot disk, Fdisk, Format and reinstall your OS on the C:\ drive. When setup the way you want, simply copy over the data from the D:\ drive. You will still need to reinstall the Programs as they dont just copy from one drive to another. If the old system was still available, while in Safe Mode, you could have gone onto System>Device Manage Tab and near the bottom, remove everything under System then transfer the HD from the old to new. Windows would have then looked for the misssing system components and installed the new stuff. Just curious also about the comment that you have a C:\+D:\ HDs and G:\ Cd-rom. What happened the the E:\ and F:\ drives?

3. bHeidel

bHeidel Thread Starter

No I did not reinstall the os after I replaced the MB. I guess from what you have said I will have to do that to get things running. I have a zip drive on F: or E: I dont remember as its been awhile before I got frustrated. Maybe the cdrom is F: Thanks again for the advice.

4. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

I think you will be happier with a clean install anyway. Little glitches and problems from the previous install will not interfer if a fresh install is done. On the old drive, there no doubt is some Windows registry modifications cause by previous installs of programs. When stating over, you now know what you want on the machine and wont have the changes caused by loading and removing programs that leave little pieces of data uselessly clogging up your system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/53687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice