1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't boot w/any HD, just clickes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Conway, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John Conway

John Conway Thread Starter

win XP SP2 AMD about 1.8
    System fails to boot with any HD pluged to power.
    If I unplug HD power I can boot with CD.
    If HD is plugged in all I get is a ticking like a clock not coming from the HD.
    Tried unlugging CD drives - no go
    Tried unplugging FD drive - no go
    With HD plugged in CD drives are not accessable, slave light blinks intermitantly and master shows no life.
    Tested power supply - OK

2. srhoades

srhoades

Try a different IDE cable. Other than that your IDE controller may have died.

3. John Conway

I tried another cable.
    What do you suppose the ticking is?
    Its not coming from the drives.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You dont give any real specs aboutyour computer for us to go by. Other than that what it sounds like youa re describing is commonly known as the click of death. THis is the sound a failed hard drive often makes.

5. John Conway

[​IMG]
    As soon as i figure out how I will attach a photo

6. thefakenet

thefakenet

He points out that the clicking is not coming from the drives, now the source of a sound can be misleading within a computer, however, the sound could possibly be a bad PSU, but I doubt that, since they rarely make noise. (but I did have one start hissing, and not from the fan).

Some hard drives have a separate configuration for "Master with slave" and "Master solo" and the drives fail to recognize if this is incorrectly set, since this is outside of the classic "master/slave" setting, double check this, I know it's basic, but It's always worst when the simple little thing turns out to be at fault, Also if you are running in cable select mode, try manual setting.

These may not be the most helpful answers but they are all I can think of at the moment, and if nothing else, they may help you rule out more.

7. John Conway

It is set to CS so I will try changing to master.
    I am having a hard time isolating the sound, took the drive out and heald it to my ear while booting to rule it out. It almost sound like its coming from the MOBO

8. thefakenet

thefakenet

Hmm, Odd, Could be a relay of some sort, or perhaps the CPU fan is going, but that doesn't explain why this only happens when the hard drive is in. When it's out and the computer successfully boots from CD-ROM does it still make this ticking noise?
    have you tried yelling at it? (translation: I'm stumped)

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well I keyed in on his statement that the clicking noise was present when the hard drive was connected and access was attempted. Even though it may sound like the noise is coming from somewhere else, this can be pin pointed with a long thin screw driver touching the drive case while it is clicking and pressing you ear against the handle of the screw driver. It sort of makes a stethescope. and if the drive itself is indeed clicking while it is connected I would bet the drive is a goner.

10. thefakenet

thefakenet

Yeah, but he has also held the drive outside of the computer (itself not a technique often recommended) however this establishing that the sound is external from the computer. Even as it would make ten times more sense for it to be coming from the drive. I'm waiting for his next post to see if the jumper shunt setting to master made any diff.

11. John Conway

Found the clicking noise.
    Its coming from the small system speaker

12. thefakenet

thefakenet

Ahhh...That makes a lot more sence. The clicking is a symptom of the problem and not directly related to the cause. It seems your controller (assumably integrated into your mobo) is either rejecting your HDD and failing to resume, or is damaged and freezing upon attempting to recognise the HDD, ususual why this would isolate to HDD but allow the same controller to run a CD-ROM.

Next two questions: 1, is your HDD larger then 137GB? if so your BIOS might be out of date and incompatible with the size of the drive. (If this HD was previously working in this PC then this is not the case)

2. Have you attempted switching IDE channels that your HD is connected to?

13. John Conway

Unplugged the CD's and plugged the HD into IDE#2
    It booted up and is now running.
    I'm thinking a new MOBO is in order, yes?

14. thefakenet

thefakenet

I would assume so yes. I assume by your answer that you now have a working system (even if only temporary) this gives you an excellent opportunity to back up important data, just in case.

15. John Conway

Thank you for all the help.
    John

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice