1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't boot with external drives hooked up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robertzinko, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robertzinko

robertzinko Thread Starter

I have a new refurb computer that is running Lenovo Bios set up utility. It starts fine on its own, but it wont go past the "lenovo" screen (into windows 10) when an external harddrive is plugged in.

machine type and model 10b50001us
    system brand id thinkcenter m73

So I went into the startup menu and right now have the following settings (that still wont work)

Primary boot sequence:

Sata 1: st500lm000-1ej162-sshd-8gb
    sata 2: matshita dvd-ram sw830

Excluded from boot order:
    USB fdd:
    usb key:
    sata 3:
    network 1: realtek pxe b04 doo
    otherdivice:
    uas hdd:
    usb cdrom

I also have my USB legacy support disabled

No idea what else to try....

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I have a computer that refuses to boot with only 1 one of the 7 external portable hard drives attached. (In other words, it will boot fine if any of the other 6 are attached when I power up. All the drives are Western Digital and range in size from 500GB to 2TB.)
    My solution - don't attach that particular hard drive to the computer until after it has booted up.

3. robertzinko

robertzinko Thread Starter

Yes, I understand that I can boot up without them (as stated in the second line of my post). I am trying to find a way to have it boot up with the harddrives. It is not one specific, it is any of the 3. as such, its got to be a settings issue.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1201

You failed to mention a) brand and model of the external drives b) size of the external drives and c) how the external drives are formatted. So the above might not be applicable.

Unfortunately my WD is already FAT32 and the computer refuses to boot with it attached so mine is not caused by exFat formatted drive.

Good luck trying to find a solution.
    Rather than waste more time on my issue, I've decided to not attach the one drive before I boot the computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice