1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't boot with network plugged in

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wlivingston, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wlivingston

wlivingston Thread Starter

I've just installed Cox highspeed internet (cable modem), but seem to have a problem with the setup. My computer won't boot with the ehternet cable between the router and computer plugged in. The computer hangs just after the desktop wall paper comes up but before any of the icons or task bar.

The modem (Linksys Etherfast Cable modem model BEFCMU10 ver.2) work's fine. I've installed a Linksys 10/100 LNE100TX ver. 5.1 lan card and a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router BEFSR41 ver. 2. During the initial install, everything went fine until the reboot, then my system hung. Had to cut the power supply power off (back of the computer) to get it back. If I unplug the cable and boot, the computer comes up (seems slower) fine. I can then plug the network cable in and everything work just fine.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything. I call Cox tech support and they weren't much help. I've unloaded the Win 98 communication (dial up) software and let it reinstall. I've ran all the updates/patches at window update. I updated my bios a couple of months ago, when I installed a second hard drive. Nothing seems to improve the situtation. I've tried other cables and network cards, with no improvement.

I find it interesting that when it locks up, the front power button does not work anymore. Only thing I know to do is to format C: and reinstall Win 98 SE. Before I do that, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gigabyte GA-6BXC motherboard
    Win 98 Second Edition
    Linksys network gear (see above)

2. Del

Del

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel. Double click Network.
    Tell me what you have with tcp/ip in front of it??

3. wlivingston

At this point there is a TCP/IP, but nothing else shows on the line. I had previously compared the network setting with a friends computer - they were the same, with the exception of the WINs configuration. Mine says to use DHCP for WINS, his said "Disable WINS Resolution". Changing mine to match didn't seem to have any effect.

4. wlivingston

At this point there is a TCP/IP, but nothing else shows on the line. I had previously compared the network setting with a friends computer - they were the same, with the exception of the WINs configuration. Mine says to use DHCP for WINS, his said "Disable WINS Resolution". Changing mine to match didn't seem to have any effect.

5. wlivingston

Through repeatitive selective startups, my problem appears to be with the ndis.vxd and/or ndis2sup.vxd device drivers. MS knowledgebase article 261766 addresses this, but as for the cause, no help yet.

6. Rockn

Rockn

7. wlivingston

Tried it. Didn't help.

I tried the "clean boot" option mentioned, but when my machine hangs it never writes the bootlog.txt file, so no help there.

I'm starting to try to find a hardware problem, but didn't see any right off in device manager.

8. Del

Del

I think I would try installing your Linksys NIC in a different slot. Sounds like a hardware conflict.

9. wlivingston

I moved it to the "primary slot" (next to AGP port) but it didn't help. Is it possible too many things are sharing IRQ 11?13 items are using it. I may have to move something to make room, I don't see a free IRQ.

10. Del

Del

What happens if you boot up then plug in the RJ45?

11. wlivingston

The network works. Everything is fine then, I have high-speed internet and email. So it appears the network card is functioning properly (and so is the router and modem).

12. wlivingston

Update - I removed IRQ support from my BIOs and it boots OK. I added a new USB 2.0 and Firewire card in Dec. but did not disable my USB on the motherboard. This shuffled the IRQs, and the only thing I lost in the process was my audio card DOS mode driver. (show yellow ! in device manager - says can find a free IRQ). Audio works OK in Windows. Haven't tried all of my apps yet, but probably something I can live with.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice