1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't boot without launching windows repair, programs constantly crashing and BSODs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sarpedonides, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarpedonides

sarpedonides Thread Starter

Hello techies, I tried a post on reddit /r/techsupport but my problem got lost and I'm getting no response. Hopefully someone here will be able to guide me so I stop breaking my computer.

I recently attempted to upgrade my rig and in the process fried my mobo and processor (that is it's own saga). Since replacing my parts I've had nothing but trouble with Windows. Though initially everything seemed to run fine, after a couple days I began getting random crashes after SP1 failed to install. From there my drive began to glitch out of control and began to endlessly reboot without getting past the load screen. The past three days have been an endless battle with my boot manager and my install discs. I have two SSDs and 1 HDD - I've been trying to get Windows 7, 8.1, or even Ubuntu stable on any of them. So far only Windows 7 on my HDD seems to run glitch-free, but of course I'd rather run my OS off one of my SSDs.

Now finally I've got Windows 7 running on my 120 GB SSD (Kingston). My other 240 GB SSD (SanDisk), which I was able to get Ubuntu on and use to reformat my other disks, doesn't appear as a drive under my computer, though it does appear under the Disk Manager and as Active (and doesn't allow me to reformat it so I can use it as storage). I unplugged this drive since I've been having so many problems with the boot drives. I was able to get all my drivers and ninite programs installed as well as critical updates like SP1 on the Kingston.

Every time I reboot my computer, I get brought to a screen with two options: Launch Windows Repair or Start Windows Normally. Choosing the latter option causes a BSOD and a reboot. Choosing the former gives me a screen with a loading bar "Loading Windows Files..." and then sends me back to the previous screen where I can successfully choose to Start Windows Normally. Even though I'm in, I'm running into constant problems where Chrome, its extensions, and other programs will continually crash. When idling on the desktop my computer is fine for a bit, but as soon as I start doing any tasks it's a coin flip whether or not I get a BSOD. I have to go through the same process every time I reboot my computer.

I know I must have corrupted my drive somehow when I was trying to reformat and reinstall Windows. This is the same installation disk I used to install it originally and it worked fine for probably a year prior. I'm tired of guess work and trying to fix this myself when I have no idea what is going on or what I'm doing. If anybody has experience dealing with faulty OSs and drives please share your knowledge and help me out, I just want my baby back to normal.

Here are my specs:

CPU Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard Biostar H61MGV3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Storage Kingston HyperX 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card
    Case Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply Thermaltake 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Additional steps log:
    1.When trying to boot in Safe Mode it gets hung up at ClassPNP.sys and reboots. Don't know if that's helpful information.
    2.Read on a similar post here that running SeaTools might be a good idea. Loaded it up on a USB and ran it a Long Test on my Kingston drive. It passed. Currently running a test on my Seagate for the hell of it. Will continue scouring tech forums for further avenues.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Ubuntu uses a different file-system than Windows, that's why the Ubuntu HD doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, it's normal.

I would physically disconnect all HDs except the one you want to install Windows onto, then do a clean install of Windows, which means formatting the drive/partition you want to install it onto at the start of the install.

This video shows how to do clean install of 7 :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw

Make sure you have your Windows product key before you format, if you don't already have it you can use the free version here to get it :- https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

3. sarpedonides

Thanks for the response. I've tried doing a clean install a few times now, and for whatever reason this latest attempt, after running chkdsk for the third time. it seems like it worked itself out and everything is finally stable. If I wanted to make that Ubuntu drive into internal storage space to install games to and whatnot, do I just format the main partition in Windows Disk Management? Should I reformat to NTFS?

I am having another problem since this install where my external hard drive - which worked perfectly before and works on my laptop - doesn't show up under my computer, disk management, or diskpart->list volume, but does show up in my Device Manager as USB Mass Storage. Uninstalling the drivers and plugging it back in gives me the same results, windows recognizes a device has been plugged in, drivers loads successfully, but then I cannot access the files. Any advice on either of these issues? Thanks for your time.

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes just format the ex-Ubuntu drive in Disk Management to NTFS and Windows will be able to use it. If you just want a single partition on it delete all the existing ones in DM then create a new one using all the space.

What make and model external drive is it ? Could it need special drivers ?

5. sarpedonides

Ok, I will plug that drive back in and give formatting a shot tonight. The external is a Toshiba v63600-C. I've never had any problems plugging and playing it, it downloads the drivers right away with no errors. Should I make a separate thread for this problem? Thanks again.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If necessary format the external HD using the laptop.

EDIT : if after the above you're still having trouble with the external HD starting a new thread is a good idea

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice