Wont boot without M.2

deety

Earlier I transferred my windows system from an M.2 drive to a hard disk. I then used the M.2 drive as a data drive. The M.2 drive no longer has an operating system as I formatted it before I copied data onto it. The HDD is now the boot drive with windows properly installed, BUT.
The system will only boot from the HDD bootdrive if the M.2 (a non-bootable device) is in place on the motherboard. Despite repeatedly telling the uefi to boot from the windows HDD drive, it constantly resets itself. If the M.2 drive is installed the boot priority sets boot No1 to M.2 and priority no2 to the HDD. Because the M.2 is not bootable the uefi boots from option 2, the HDD. If the M.2 is not present, even though the boot priority is set to boot from the HDD, the uefi attempts to boot from a network, fails , and then goes into an infinite loop of attempted repairing, failing, attempted repairing etc. I have tried removing the bios back up battery but nothing seems to work. I want to use the M.2 in a new system, but at the moment it has to be in theolder system for that system to work. Any ideas?
(Sorry for the ultra long post !)

deety

I dont know. How can I tell. There are 6 sata sockets on the mobo, but I cant see any I.D on them. (I don't have full visual access as the drive bays are kind of in the way).
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to log off for now as it's past my bed-time. I'll get back in the morning.
Cheers

Couriant

James
If you know the motherboard model we should be able to pull up the schematic of the board.

Couriant

James
1620776197497.png

I am guess SATA_0 would be the SATA6G_1 that Texas is referring to as I don't see a SATA 0. It would be the one closest to the memory, and inward. (number 11)

crjdriver

Earlier I transferred my windows system from an M.2 drive to a hard disk
How exactly did you accomplish this task ie clone, image, what? What software did you use to do the clone or image?

deety

I used Macrium Reflect (free version) for the cloning. (I've actually done it twice now). I'll look into the sata port number later when I get back to the system. Thanks very much for all the suggestions everybody. This thing is irritating the heck out of me !

crjdriver

Most drive mfg have purpose designed software for cloning and it is best to use what has been tested and found to work. If your drive does not have purpose designed software then and only then should you use a third party program.

Since you formatted the M.2, the following is just a guess and cannot be tested. When you install windows on a M.2 drive AND you have another drive connected to a sata port, the boot files are NOT installed on the M.2. They are installed on the first drive connected to a sata port. Again this is just a guess since it cannot be tested.

BTW you do not format a M.2 or a ssd drive. This causes excessive wear. What is done with either of those type of drives is a secure erase NOT a format.

You can attempt to repair the boot files of the drive on which windows is installed however I would not hold out much hope. Do the following;

Boot the system with a win10 install usb and choose Repair Computer option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt. Once at the command prompt, type the following;
Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR and hit <Enter>
Next, type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT then hit <Enter>
If you are still not successful, the attempt to rebuild the boot sector. Type the following;
bootrec /RebuildBcd and hit enter.

I am wondering, why would anyone do this;
Earlier I transferred my windows system from an M.2 drive to a hard disk.
The M.2 [even if sata type] is approx 5 times faster than a mech hard drive. If the M.2 is nvme type, it is even faster.

Last edited:

deety

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I tried them all and none of them worked. I think the HDD (although reporting as healthy) was actually Kaput. The reason I wanted to transfer from M.2 to HDD was because I wanted to put the M.2 which was the system drive in an older computer, into a new computer to act as a data drive, as the new computer already had an M.2 system drive.. The old computer would be used for things where the speed of the drive was irrelevant. I gave up and at the moment the M.2 is in the new system acting as a data drive, while the older system has no O.S on it at all. I tried re-installing from the USB restore drive supplied with the computer but it just says the drive is GPT and needs to be MBR. When I check the drive using an external sata adaptor on a different system it says the drive IS an MBR drive. Anyway as I say I gave up.
Thanks very much to everyone for trying to help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online