1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't connect to any sort of internet?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Staycalm784, Nov 1, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. Staycalm784

Staycalm784 Thread Starter

I recently came across an old Dell Inspiron 5315 that's running windows XP, and I've come to find out that it won't connect to any internet whatsoever. I have no way to connect to Wi-Fi due to the lack of an adapter, so the first thing I tried was connection through an ethernet cable. But alas, after plugging it in, I tried to use chrome and it wasn't working. I was able to search the internet and use google, but I couldn't open any web pages and no images were loading. As far as I can tell, the parts are all stock and haven't been modified at all. I have an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Staycalm784, and welcome to TSG.

How are you able to use Google if you say you can't open any web pages? As far as I know, the only way to use Google is through opening web pages loaded from the Google website.

3. Staycalm784

Staycalm784 Thread Starter

I double clicked on the icon for chrome, which opened the application to the search bar. Then, when I typed something into the search bar, it would load up the search results. But whenever I tried to click on any of the links, they would lead me to a blank page. And when I tried to look at the images, none of them were loading. So basically, it was working, but not working at the same time. I've never seen anything like it before.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    That does sound weird. What happens if you enter a URL directly into the Chrome address bar; say www.cnn.com or www.foxnews.com ?

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is the service tag on that machine?

Also what information shows up with the Ethernet connected if you do an ipconfig/all in Command Prompt?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218618

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice