Won't connect to any sort of internet?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Staycalm784

I recently came across an old Dell Inspiron 5315 that's running windows XP, and I've come to find out that it won't connect to any internet whatsoever. I have no way to connect to Wi-Fi due to the lack of an adapter, so the first thing I tried was connection through an ethernet cable. But alas, after plugging it in, I tried to use chrome and it wasn't working. I was able to search the internet and use google, but I couldn't open any web pages and no images were loading. As far as I can tell, the parts are all stock and haven't been modified at all. I have an NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
Hi Staycalm784, and welcome to TSG.

... I tried to use chrome and it wasn't working. I was able to search the internet and use google, but I couldn't open any web pages and no images were loading.
How are you able to use Google if you say you can't open any web pages? As far as I know, the only way to use Google is through opening web pages loaded from the Google website.

Staycalm784

I double clicked on the icon for chrome, which opened the application to the search bar. Then, when I typed something into the search bar, it would load up the search results. But whenever I tried to click on any of the links, they would lead me to a blank page. And when I tried to look at the images, none of them were loading. So basically, it was working, but not working at the same time. I've never seen anything like it before.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
What is the service tag on that machine?

Also what information shows up with the Ethernet connected if you do an ipconfig/all in Command Prompt?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online