1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Won't connect to the Wireless network!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by richo1807, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. richo1807

richo1807 Thread Starter

Hello
    I am currently unable to connect to my home wireless network on my laptop, even though my brother is able to on his laptop. I am using the Odyssey Access Client Manager as my school is wirless and uses this wirless program. My windows wireless comes up with the following text. "this problem has occured because the network did not assign a network adress to the computer." Could my school wirless stop me from going onto my home wireless?
    If any one could help that would be most appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Make sure you are not using MAC address filtering and try to connect with encryption disabled. If successful you should be able to re-enable encryption and reconnect.

3. richo1807

richo1807 Thread Starter

As i am not good at computers how do i check if im using a MAC address filtering,and disable/ enable incription

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Login to the router, preferably using an ethernet connected computer. Navigate to the wireless (or security) section and look for encryption mode and for anything with MAC in the name. The router user manual is often a good source of specifics; it can usually be found on a CD that came with the router and/or on the manufacturer's web site.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775453