1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't defrag.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cbmott1, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbmott1

cbmott1 Thread Starter

I need help my system is running windows Me and won't let me defrag it says that C drive has error. After doing a thourogh check and repair I still recieve this message. I would restore the computer with a disk however I don't have one considering I basically built this computer my self.

2. $teve

$teve

welcome to T.S.G cbmott1

have you tried defragging in safe mode or retsoring the system to an earlier point?

3. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Is the error DEFRAG0004 or DEFRAG0005??

Many times these are caused by files that are in the \temp or browser cache.

Try deleting all files and folders in \Windows\Temp
    And all files in \Windows\Temporary Internet Files

and if there are any
    \Windows\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Allow the deletion of the cookies if they are not important to you (this will cause you to reenter userids/passwords on any sites that you log in to)

Also, empty the recycle bin.

Do you have a standalone boot disk, if needed?

4. cbmott1

cbmott1 Thread Starter

Unfotunately I don't have a boot disk or any other software exept for the disk on the modem. I did try to go to an earlier date but it said no dates were available and it said that the system had not been changed after doing so. What I really need is a sight that I can put in all my system info in and create a system recovery disk while repairing all the problems that are currently in the system.. I belive that I may have deleted an important file in my system by mistake. Any Ideas or is there an 800 phone number I can call and go thu step by step to figure out what's going on.?????

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice