1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

won't defrag

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jizzmack, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

My pc won't defrag. It'll start and then hours later still nothing. It'll get to like 10-15% that's it. Any thoughts?

I'm running 98 on a 500mh P3 with 64 mb ram.

also does anyone know what ram upgrades cost\ what's the going rate? If there is one!

thanks in advance!

2. mobo

mobo

Clear all temp files and then go to safe mode and do your maintenance..

3. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi, The built-in defragger that comes with Windows is very slow and not very efficient at what it does. Download the free "Diskeeper Lite" by Executive Software, you'll be glad you did! ( I liked it so much I now run the full version!) You should definitely add more memory if your going to keep it awhile. Assuming that you have pc100 memory, Crucial is selling 64mb sticks for $22.99 U.S.

4. mobo

mobo

Actually xp's defrag is diskeeper lite.

5. TheJoost

TheJoost

Hi mobo, I was unaware of that. It looks like M$ does occasionally get things right! :D

6. mobo

mobo

Sometimes , but more often not so...:D

7. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Generally after years of trying to get something right and failing, M$ buys the technology from some company that got it right the first time. There is a long history of that and the companies are many.

8. mobo

mobo

They got the loot so maybe they'll start to make more secure systems without25 service packs :D

9. NiteHawk

NiteHawk

Ya think?? I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last time I sat down and counted, starting with Windows 1, there were over 25 viariations of Windows.

10. Jizzmack

Jizzmack Thread Starter

Thanks for passing along the info Joost!

Gonna check that out.

(y)

11. brindle

brindle

I use winme defrag on my 98se system. Before each defrag I go threw these steps.

I manually delete my cookies,history,temp internet files and the temp files and yes I delete the content.IE% sub-directory.
    I disable everything in task momitor (C+A+D) except systray and explorer, shutdown my firewall,anti-virus and turn off my screen saver. Yea I still use a screensaver cause they're fun.
    Okay now it's time to run disk clean-up, scandisk then defrag in normal mode.
    Alway runs great and take just a few minutes to defrag my 40 gig (4.85 gig used) 7200 seagate.
    The disk clean-up is a backup of what I already did empties the recycle bin at that time.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172771

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice