wont detect hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

barks25

Hi
amd k6-2 350mhz
win2k
have a problem as of recent where the mobo will not detect the hard drive. here is a list of what i have tried:
different hard drives they all work on other pc's ok
made sure no loose connections
changed the ide cable
connected to the other ide connector on the mobo
pulled the battery left out 2 hrs to make sure
reset clock etc.
regardless pc will not detect hd either in boot up or in the setup
message i get is boot disk failure, insert system disk
any clues to what i have missed
could this be a bad mobo...
thanks
Scott

check that the hard drive has no bent or missing pins(at the back) this happened to me...it was a missing pin..........

Make sure the IDE connection on the harddrive doesn't have bent pins, either.

Depending on your motherboard, it may want different jumper settings than other motherboards. Perhaps you should try setting your harddrive from Master to Cable Select, or vise-versa. (Or however you spell that...silly latin! It is latin, right?)

This happened to me a while back. It turned out that I fried the HD; when I was closing the case, the power wire got caught in it and the metal touched the metal, causing it to fry. Now, it doesn't work, and it won't get recognized.

dai

check you have the red line down the side of the cable next to the power plug

barks25

no not a bent pin,
the hard drive had been working with this board and stopped working
the bios does not detect the hd and auto detect is selected
remember the hard drives i have tried all work in other pc's
the ide cable i am using has a locator to keep the connector from getting reversed

Recheck all the connections on both ends of the ribbon cable as well as the power supply to the drive. It may also help to remove the cmos battery for about 15 minutes to clear the cmos.

barks25

as stated in the original log:
pulled the battery left out 2 hrs to make sure reset clock etc.(cmos)
changed the ide cable(ribbon cable)

checked voltage from power supply: red 5.12vdc, yellow 12.32vdc... well within specs.

i am thinking that this mobo could be the problem...unless there is something else to check...

barks25

ok, switched boot to cdrom and the initial boot screen says:
couldn't open boot partition
can't check siganture

then the system reads the disk(i imagine loading to the ram as temp)but the screen stops when the screen says:
setup is starting windows 2000

i think this is when the mobo is trying to use the hard drive and is not able to locate the hard drive

i turned the trend boot sector virus detection off, thinking perhaps a glitch there could cause prob, nope

did a second boot of the system and initial screen shows no detection of hard drive and after disk loads the screen stops with:
setup is starting window 2000

You said the BIOS is not detecting the hard drive. I have a system which can't autodetect one of my HD's as well. I manually enter the parameters into the BIOS and it works fine.

@barks25

How long do you leave ur mobo to find the hd.

with my second hd it takes about a minute to find it.

It's been a while since I've had to do it but I seem to remember it takes more than just a couple of seconds. Only have to do it once though. The BIOS remembers the settings after that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online