1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Wont even boot to bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dagonpaul, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

Ok so, I got my hands on a free old PC. Its an Intel Celeron 328. It was running windows 98, but I took that off and began installing XP. While it was installing I hunted down some left over RAM chips that I had sitting around. It currently had one 64 mb chip and two open slots. I went out on a limb and filled both with 128mg chips... Except one was PC100 (same as the current one) and the other a PC133. (im guessing those are speeds)

Another piece to the problem might be that I turned the computer off to install the RAM while it was rebooting to finalize XP installation.

So, now the computer will turn on, and everything runs, but it wont even boot to the BIOS screen...its just black.

Did the faster RAM mess something up? Did not letting XP reboot mess something up? Or was it neither and the computer just died???

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why not pull out the ram you added and see if it will boot up?

BTW that machine is really too old to run xp efficiently; stick with win9x.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

Process of elimination.
    Start by removing all but one memory stick (assuming you can run with just one at a time, but if you need pairs that is another issue).
    If that one memory stick doesn't work, then try just the other one, by itself (same note)

If you still can't get it to the BIOS, then try eliminating else.
    If it now does get to BIOS then you have found a memory stick was hanging you up.

4. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks for the help so far... Unfortunately I have taken each memory stick out and tried them again individually.

Whats my next step in trouble shooting this thing... still no BIOS screen.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried clearing the cmos? Turning it off during the xp install should not damage the hardware; it probably will damage the install. That however is easily fixed with a clean install.

If it still will not boot after clearing cmos, then I would disconnect everything that is not necessary for a post; hd, any add-in cards, floppy, any printer / scanner, etc. Have just the one ram chip, cpu / hsf, and video. Now try for a post. If it works, add back each piece of hw one at a time checking for a post each time.

6. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

How can I clear the CMOS?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There should be a jumper covering two of three pins near the battery on the mb [looks like a big watch battery] Move the jumper from covering pins one and two to covering two and three. Leave it there for 10-15 seconds and replace it to where it was before.

Check your manual for the exact procedure. Also make sure the power cord is removed from the system when doing this.

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

Look, Paul, this is a process of elimination. You have to get back to where something functions properly, not "will turn on, and everything runs" (whatever you think that means). But I was under the impression that this computer was working properly recently.
    Was that when you had the one 64MB chip in place?
    If so, then you've got to get back to that point and move forward or backward, depending upon the results at that time.

If I had a misconception, and this computer has not been running recently, then perhaps you are in error about the number of memory sticks (SIMMs, DIMMs, whatever) needed at one time. In that case, can you tell us what is the model number of your computer and/or motherboard? We could then look it up to find out what the correct memory configuration of your box is.

9. dagonpaul

dagonpaul Thread Starter

crj, your help with the cmos did the trick. It is running again, thank you.

Chuck E, im sorry if my language to to infantile for you to help me. I will attempt to be more specific in the future.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.
    You can mark you own thread as solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/408682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice